cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ran out of offers

I found an item that I really wanted and there was a best offer option available. That said, after raising my initial offer by $10 (which brought me to under 10% of the BIN price) I ran out of offers due to the sellers automatic decline and the limit that eBay places on offers. Having said that, I was wondering if it would be acceptable to message the seller and ask what they would consider an acceptable  offer? Also, I know sellers can make offers to buyers since I receive them all the time, so if we could reach an agreed upon amount would that be the way to go since I’m out of offers. Just curious since I’m not completely sure about eBay’s rules on such thing as this. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ran out of offers

@dede394 wrote:

@tryno2 wrote:

You seriously offered less then 10% of the BIN price?  I'd block you for such a silly lowball offer.  

I'd guess, with English not being my strong soup, that "which brought me to under 10% of the BIN price" actually meant "within 10%" instead.

I was a professional editor for 35+ years and took it the same way. And putting it in context with the rest of the post, that makes the most sense.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Ran out of offers

If your final offer was under 10% below the BIN, I think it's likely that eBay added Best Offer to the listing without the seller asking them to. That actually happens quite often. The seller has no way to remove it, so all they can do is set their auto decline to the BIN price.

There's no rule that says you can't message the seller. But if you do, you run the risk that the seller, having not wanted the BO in the first place, is going to get really annoyed and block you. If you really want the item, just hit the BIN and buy it.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Ran out of offers

You seriously offered less then 10% of the BIN price?  I'd block you for such a silly lowball offer.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Ran out of offers

Just buy it outright before another user does. No need for offers.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Ran out of offers

If a seller would block for that, I'd be just as glad to never deal with the seller.  Block away.  

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Ran out of offers

@tryno2 wrote:

I'd guess, with English not being my strong soup, that "which brought me to under 10% of the BIN price" actually meant "within 10%" instead.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Ran out of offers

@kssteve,

"If a seller would block for that, I'd be just as glad to never deal with the seller".

A seller might not block a buyer just for contacting them.  However, they might look at the offer history to see what the first offer was, and if it was really low. They might block a buyer because of that.   There have been buyers who ran through their offers, and used buy it now. Then they filed a not as described claim asking for a partial discount, which just so happened to bring the price back to one of the offers.

If the seller has to go through the return for refund process they end up being out the cost of the return shipping. There's no guarantee the buyer won't damage the item out of spite, or if it was new in the box, but now opened, it is now considered used lowering the value.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Ran out of offers

@dede394 wrote:

@tryno2 wrote:

I was a professional editor for 35+ years and took it the same way. And putting it in context with the rest of the post, that makes the most sense.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Ran out of offers

I just ran across this response of blocking for such a silly low ball offer....how in the world would you even know? Stating such a thing is ridiculous. There are many items I personally offer low as I know the correct market price for them and what the typically do sell at. If it doesn't work out move on, there's  other products and platforms elsewhere Another issue is eBay seller fees . Totally ridiculous... so the executives get theirs.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Ran out of offers

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply