cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Pay in 4 No longer an option?

Hello, I won a couple auctions recently. When I went to checkout, it no longer redirects me to PayPal when I want to pay by PayPal. It just confirms & pay full amount. So is PayPal Pay in 4 no longer an option on ebay?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I have not used the PayPal in 4 before, so I'm probably not much help (sure more helpful members will come along), but...tossing out some ideas until someone more knowledgeable does chime..

1) When I just went to checkout, I see "PayPal Credit" as an option. Clicking on that, it states 6 months, no fees/interest. Could that be similar, or was that always an additional/different option?

2) Does it depend on the amount - i.e. it's only available for more expensive items?

3) Is it tied to credit scores/reports (I do not mean this to be negative at all - just know when I closed all of my credit cards out due to ID theft, my score went down to "good" from "excellent" and having no debt has oddly affected some things in a negative way for financing anything!)

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

The old  old system is not available.

I can pay with a "pay pal" credit card now.

I can pay with "pay pal" credit which is not a credit card but can be used to buy items on eBay now.

There are new different systems to pay with pay pal.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

When I went to checkout, it no longer redirects me to PayPal when I want to pay by PayPal. It just confirms & pay full amount. 

@collector1211 

Did you try "unlinking" your PayPal account to eBay?    That way you should be able to choose more readily how you want to pay when you select to pay via the Pal.  I believe it is a setting in PayPal that you must change. 

When I use PayPal, it takes me directly to PayPal to choose how I want to fund the payment.  Pay in 4 is NOT always an option.  You need to look in PayPal to see the how/when/why that option may or may not be available to you.  

If you are prompted to fill out a form PRIOR  to making an offer, your payment options will be limited.  Pay in 4, or PayPal credit cannot be used.  For a while there it was the same in some circumstances in order to make a bid as well.  You could not proceed until you selected a payment  source first.  Then PayPal Pay in 4, or PayPal credit would not be a choice for you to use,  but rather limited to a credit card on file with the Pal. 

I think that may have changed since the seller's BUYER REQUIRMENT page no longer shows the option to force a buyer to comply before being able  to bid on an auction. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I have seen this pop up a few other times today (question).

I have used Pay in 4 a couple times in the past through PayPal.

I did see it pop up recently as a choice from my options to pay with on PayPal when I went to check out.

But here's the thing.  How you check out may affect this.  If you don't do the add to cart, view cart, checkout cart thing, it might skip the screen where you can choose options and just use whatever your default payment option is on PayPal.

I know the Pay in 4 still gets prompted, it popped when I went to NewEgg last week and bought stuff there.  Now, with eBay lately (as in the past month or so) I haven't seen it, but then I don't shop with the cart option much.  I usually buy right off the listing and it just goes through using my default payment option in PayPal.

So.

Not sure if those of you not seeing it are because:

• The amount of the sale is above or below a certain threshold
  • The type of sale (merchandise) is not accepted by Pay in 4
  • The default payment option is not set to PayPal (perhaps you have eBay set to pay with a payment other than PayPal as a first choice)
  • Or because they updated the method regarding directly buying vs adding to cart

I may have to do some tests.  Will update.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

First off, this is from the PayPal website:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cshelp/article/what-is-pay-in-4-help463

How can I pay with Pay in 4?

Pay in 4 will appear as a payment method for eligible shopping cart values between $30 and $1,500 when you check out with PayPal. Upon applying, you'll receive a decision within seconds, although not every application will be approved.

Availability depends on your state of residence, and you must be at least 18 years of age to apply. You must also have a PayPal account in good standing or open a PayPal account to apply.

Pay in 4 is not available for certain merchants and goods. Offer availability depends on the merchant and may not be available for certain recurring subscription services.

That said, I tried doing checkout with multiple different items from different categories.  None of them would pop up the option for Pay in 4.

Not to mention, I no longer see a Pay in 4 option in my PayPal (on the website under my account page), even though the help section has the above info listed.

Yet if I go to another merchant and attempt to place an order there I get the option:

gator08041971_0-1712275149970.png

Here its disabled because the items in my cart on that site are over 1500.

Its possible that its temporarily down for eBay or was removed as an option for eBay.  Not sure.  Will continue to dig.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I've tried every option I can think of.  It's just not showing on anything.  However even I go to PayPal directly,  it shows the pre-approval and that it is an option. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Did the listings show that option?

Have a great day
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@hoff.steven @kensgiftshop 

Okay, the option is still here.

You have to click the "Pay with PayPal" button:

gator08041971_2-1712276684655.png

BEFORE it will show the screen:

gator08041971_1-1712276630487.png

Click see more to see more of your purchase options here.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Where is that initial screen? 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@hoff.steven 

Add your item to the cart.

Go to checkout.  It should show your payment options on the left and that would show on the right, after you make sure PayPal is selected on the left. (I have to be careful screen shotting those parts)

gator08041971_0-1712277218857.png

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

When I'm on my app, it only shows buy it now.  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Pay in 4 it is still an option. 
IMG_1491.jpeg

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@hoff.steven 

Yes.

But you should have an option to "Add to cart" or "View in cart".

But I just checked, the app apparently bypasses this and uses the default option you have set in PayPal. So no, it won't give you any choices.  It just has "Place your order", which I have now tested.  It just went straight to my default payment option and completed.  Yikes.

So if you want to use Pay in 4, you will need to use a web browser on the phone or a computer, not the app.

@ebooksdiva

But not on the App.  I just tested it with the same item I tested on the PC.  Works on the PC, but not on the App. The App doesn't let you pick any choices within PayPal, just uses the default payment set and completes without any further confirmation.  Soon as you click Place Order on the App, its placed!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I figured it out!  So, in my "payment options" my paypal account was tied to Ebay-bypassing the "pay with paypal" button-only the "pay now" button showed.   I deleted my papal accounts in my ebay payment settings, and now the "pay with paypal" button shows, and so does the pay in 4!  I can sleep better now 🙂  Thank you for your assistance this evening.  I owe you a beer lol

Message 15 of 17
latest reply