cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OEM in description -but sellers selling aftermarket junk.

Looking at cellphone screens and there is a TON of descriptions starting with OEM.  I'm thinking "Great -I am looking for an Authentic screen"...  Well after looking at the descriptions, I see the words "small screen" meaning there is 1/4" border all the way around it, and the word "unbranded" is also used in the info...  not to mention a lot of negative feedback regarding these junk screens.. 

Am I missing something here?  OEM means Original Equipment from the Manufacturer as far as I know.  So how come MANY sellers that are selling junk screens are posting OEM in their descriptions?  Is Ebay allowing them to scam people?  Are they an accessory in fraudulent activities then?  

When I do a search, over 90% of the descriptions that contain the OEM descriptor, are fake junk screens.  What a waste of time!!  I used to use Ebay a LOT, but this is getting to be straight up ridiculous...  They need to rename it SCAM-bay...

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Buyers must take care when buying.  Applies to all venues not just here.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Sometimes I wonder if sellers actually know what OEM means? They act as if it means "fits".

Unfortunately it is probably optimistic to think they are ignorant instead of liars.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You know, of course, that no one at eBay evaluates any item's listing for its truthfulness and reliability, right?  That's the reason for the MBG.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I just bought an "OEM Original Genuine Apple iPhone 15" charger and cable from an Ebay seller; it even had an Apple box in the auction photo.  What I received was a knockoff product, not Apple branded.  I reported it to Ebay and here's how they replied the next day:

"What happened:
We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made by a customer service agent."

What am I to make of this?  Why is Ebay complicit in the listing of inauthentic material?  I don't mind having a generic product, IF IT IS LISTED AS SUCH.  Ebay fell down here.  They had a duty to tell the seller to not be deceptive, and they failed to do so.  It diminishes the reputation of Ebay.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Many sellers don't know what OEM means.
Many sellers will use OEM just to get seen.
Many sellers are looking at somebody else's real OEM listing, and using the "Sell One Like This" link. Which copies, to a great extent, much of the information their "host" seller used. 

And us sellers that know what OEM means, and create our own listings from scratch? 
We have to compete with all that poo 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi @turboboy! 

Had you filed a 'return request' ... choosing 'Item doesn't match description or photos' ... you would have begun the process of making eBay aware of the problem.

Far too many buyers only contact CS when they receive a 'not as described' item ... expecting the rep to fix the problem.  eBay is an automated system.  We get results when we follow the automated processes that are described in eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

If you are within 30 days of receiving the item ... you can still file the return request from your Purchase History.  BE SURE to go back to your open request to ask eBay to step in if you haven't received a prepaid shipping label OR a full refund within 4 business days of filing.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

When you say that you reported it to eBay, did you actually open an item not as described case?

There's a difference.  

If you actually opened an NAD case and followed through appropriately, there is no reason why the seller would not be required to refund.

What are we missing here? 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I contacted the seller for an answer, then actually reported the item to Ebay under the special "report this item" link to report knock-off merchandise being sold as authentic and original.  I did not chick the "item not as described" return link since the price of the two iPhone 15 chargers and cords was not exorbitant - I was not going to return them.  What I want is policy clarification for the future, to know where Ebay stands on this matter.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply