cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My eBay gift card got frozen

I bought several eBay gift card in 2016. One of them I forgot to use. Now when I found it, eBay showed 0 balance. I contacted customer service was told I need to provide original receipt to prove I am the owner. I found some other card’s receipt but not this one. 

I checked the store where I bought the card. They also not kept the receipt for so long. It seemed there’s no way I can use it. Called eBay customer service and seemed they will keep my money forever now. 

I would suggest whoever buy eBay gift card need to use it right away. Otherwise there’s huge risk that you may permanently lost your money. The better way is to not buy any eBay gift card. In contrast, no issue for old Amazon gift card. They will not require receipt and truly deem it like cash.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

eBay doesn't sell gift cards so they can't help you. If you got them 8 years ago chances are you either used them long ago and forgot, or they were already tampered with at whatever store it was before you bought them. Nothing anyone can do for you sorry.  

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It’s eBay gift card. They can track I have fund there. eBay sold to grocery store, I bought to pay items I ordered from eBay. Now broke link is I cannot find the old receipt eBay demanded. If I do it again, I probably never buy eBay gift card. Amazon card is safer and truly doesn’t have expiration date.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I found this 👇in Gift Cards: Terms and conditions so when eBay CS required a receipt they were going by their Gift Card Policy. 

IMG_1592.jpeg

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I read the terms said the lost or stolen cards need receipt. In my case, I still have the physical card, not belongs to this category.

The way it could apply is if eBay think it’s suspicious. But again you could question any gift cards just like others experienced. I can tell how much it’s in the card, what time frame I bought it. I have those info as I have several unforgotten gift cards with receipts.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply