cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost last second and then item reposted right away

I recently lost an auction at the last second. It happens. But what is weird is that the item was immediately relisted. I asked the seller about the difference between the original item and the new one and he said seller didn’t respond for payment. This seems pretty shady to me as it all happened immediately after the close of the auction. Not days later. Is this common seller trick?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Maybe: Seller didn't get high enough bid so canceled the sale, probably saying buyer request which more than likely buyer didn't request.

Shady, yes. Unless the buyer reports them, chances are that seller will get away with it. 

Did it start at the same price?

Did you look at the sellers feedback?

I would not buy from that seller because chances are they would have done the same thing to you. Find a different seller. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@dolphinaccountant wrote:

I recently lost an auction at the last second. It happens. But what is weird is that the item was immediately relisted. I asked the seller about the difference between the original item and the new one and he said seller didn’t respond for payment. This seems pretty shady to me as it all happened immediately after the close of the auction. Not days later. Is this common seller trick?

@dolphinaccountant 

A bit confused. You lost the auction to another bidder, but that buyer  didn't pay, according to the seller? And the seller didn't send you a Second Chance offer, but relisted it instead?

Maybe the seller had a shill bidder, maybe the seller had a deadbeat. I'd try to find another seller, though. Godspeed.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I think it was a shil bidder. He topped my bid at the last second and within 5 minutes of the auction closing the item was relisted for non-payment. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@dolphinaccountant 

< I think it was a shil bidder. He topped my bid at the last second >    

I think there's a different explanation.  Shill bidders don't bid to win ... that defeats the purpose of shilling. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ok, I think the seller has a second account. If he doesn’t get enough he has the second account come in at the last second and win and then he doesn’t pay, the sale is cancelled and then he relists. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Maybe the seller had a shill bidder, 

My guess. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@dolphinaccountant wrote:

Ok, I think the seller has a second account. If he doesn’t get enough he has the second account come in at the last second and win and then he doesn’t pay, the sale is cancelled and then he relists.   

Well, you could be right.  That's a very risky way to do it, but some people take risks.  

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Probably the shill bidder thought the bid would be topped at the last second.  The shill bidder was there just to inflate the price of the item, accidentally won and now by a miracle in just a few minutes after the auction ended  the item has been relisted for sale.  In the past, I've bid on items in auctions and I believe other bidders were involved in shill bidding, because it's happen to me as a buyer a few times.  It seems suspicious when the same bidder is bidding against you, then you lose at the last second to that bidder, and then after the auction you see the seller immediately relist it.  I've experienced getting a Third Chance Offer from a seller and the auction ended only 10 minutes earlier.  It's seems quite suspicious that the auction just ended and all of a sudden the two buyers in front don't want the item they just bid up.  Inflated shill bidders I believe still exist on this site, believe it or not.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply