cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just received an offer for an item I only looked it

I've read a thread from 3 years ago of buyers getting an offer from their watched list. But I never added this to any watch list. I was just browsing a lot of items 2 days ago and ended up buying other items. I never even added this item to my cart.

How is it now I'm getting this spam from eBay? I understand the seller probably doesn't know who I am, but I suppose there's a check mark box when selling an item to let eBay contact people looking at their item.

If I start getting more spam from eBay just from the items I'm viewing, then I'll be rethinking about my account here.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

eBay allows sellers to send offers to users with the item on a Watch List, or the item in a cart, of if the user has viewed the same item multiple times. The seller does not know the identity of the user unless the user actually takes advantage of an offer, as eBay mediates the offer process. The seller just knows that the item is eligible for so many offers.

If you do not want to receive such offers, check your Communication Preferences, and be sure that Offers to Buyers under Buying Activity is unchecked, along with any other types of messages you do not wish to receive.

https://commspreferences.ebay.com/commsprefs

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Just ignore them, let's face it, one day youmay get an offer you like. 😊 I don't see this as a reason to close an account, but the choice is of course yours.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If you don't want to receive these emails, you can opt out from receiving them. There should be a link at the bottom of the email itself or go to you account settings.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@escaloncomputers wrote:

How is it now I'm getting this spam from eBay? 

EBay is aggressively acting to increase sales which will result in increased profitability for eBay.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

@escaloncomputers wrote:

I've read a thread from 3 years ago of buyers getting an offer from their watched list. But I never added this to any watch list. I was just browsing a lot of items 2 days ago and ended up buying other items. I never even added this item to my cart.

How is it now I'm getting this spam from eBay? I understand the seller probably doesn't know who I am, but I suppose there's a check mark box when selling an item to let eBay contact people looking at their item.

If I start getting more spam from eBay just from the items I'm viewing, then I'll be rethinking about my account here.

There is no box a seller checks to prompt ebay to solicit sales to casual lookers.  A seller does have the ability to send offers to those who have an item on their watch list.  This makes sense, as one normally expects those 'watching' are serious buyers, although on ebay they often aren't. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

eBay allows sellers to send offers to users with the item on a Watch List, or the item in a cart, of if the user has viewed the same item multiple times. The seller does not know the identity of the user unless the user actually takes advantage of an offer, as eBay mediates the offer process. The seller just knows that the item is eligible for so many offers.

If you do not want to receive such offers, check your Communication Preferences, and be sure that Offers to Buyers under Buying Activity is unchecked, along with any other types of messages you do not wish to receive.

https://commspreferences.ebay.com/commsprefs

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Absolutely one of the worst 'features' that eBay has to offer. Nobody who simply viewed a listing wants to be spammed with offers for any reason, I can assure you. Easily the worst part of eBay.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply