cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item location option removed or doesn't work

This topic was being discussed quite vigorously but the moderator abruptly ended the discussion, so I have to start a new one.

I'm British but live in the EU. There used to be an option to limit searches to, for example, EU. That disappeared from ebay.co.uk and I now have to wade through listings which are useless to me because of postage and/or customs charges; eg from the US and the UK (since Brexit, that is now one of the worst places for me to buy from).

Advanced Search only gives me the option to select from a specific Country, not a Region.

As per the advice from the previous thread, I tried different ebay sites. ebay.com doesn't give the option of Europe or the EU. ebay.de AND ebay.ie both CLAIM to be able to limit the search to Europe, but neither of them work. I'm still flooded with useless listings from the US and China.

What triggered this awful change of policy from ebay? Brexit?! or simply a desire to maximise throughput by showing as many listings as possible. If so, in my case at least, it's backfired. Due to the difficulty in searching, I very rarely buy through any ebay site nowadays. It's always cheaper, sometimes faster, and often easier to buy from aliexpress instead.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@binsley7,

If your post presumably posted on the U.K. site was locked, it was probably because of heated discussion over the subject.  If it was pulled completely, you must have violated an ebay board policy.

We can't help you with the reason why there is not an E.U. exemption option.  We've had many U.K. members come to the U.S. (ebay.com)  site's boards to ask the question, usually not realizing they were on it.  Since the U.S. and U.K. have different trade agreements than the E.U. and U.K. we are not privy to the implications of Brexit on U.K. buyers.  Why ebay U.K.  has not responded to the many requests they have probably received for such a filter is beyond us.  A guess would be the fees paid by sellers on transaction costs, would go down if they added a filter to omit E.U. sellers.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Nothing to add except this tickled my funny bone. 

Unable to exclude "useless" listings from China from the eBay search.  So the solution is dump eBay and shop on AliExpress. 😂

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Hi @binsley7 

Do you realize that you are asking US users how to exclude ‘useless US and China listings’ from searches?  How would we know?  🤔

On what eBay site do you usually hang out?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

AliExpress have an efficient system called AliPost that takes care of mailing from China as well as customs fees; whereas buying from a Chinese eBay retailer is more complicated.

Glad I ticked your funny bone though!😄

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Sorry didn't realise I was on the US site by then, I'd been hopping around trying to work around the problem which eBay had created.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

My usual site was eBay.co.uk (there's no Portuguese eBay site). I've also occasionally used the Spanish and German sites.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@binsley7 wrote:

are useless to me because 

Try @binsley7 appending either or both

&_sop=7
&LH_PrefLoc=1

to the end of the URL  in your browser.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

this is the reason i stopped buying from ebay. They force you to view irrelevant results because they hope , you will buy and they ll get the taxes. Not gonna happen...

Message 9 of 9
latest reply