cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Specifics keyword spamming

eBay won't do anything about it.   
Getting to where you can't search anything.

eBay item number 156200952866
Come on eBay, something's gotta give

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@redlinear 

I know that ID clogs up plenty of other categories.  The other day, every three to five listings on a page in a "jewelry" search was car parts by that guy. It was so annoying I looked to see what was going on, and reported a few for key word stuffing the item specifics.  eBay thinks it is ok to do, as "report this item" is a bot activity/action now.  The guy is still doing it and all is well listing every car part known to man+  Bots apparently don't check the IS section.   The old school was to just put your thousands of tags/words in white on white html...LOL. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

eBay made that rod for their own back.

It's an easy fix for eBay. Simply go back to a straight forward title search. Buyers will then, at last, be able to find what they are looking for.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@bennotbill wrote:

eBay made that rod for their own back.

It's an easy fix for eBay. Simply go back to a straight forward title search. Buyers will then, at last, be able to find what they are looking for.

Your suggested remedy is exactly right, and too easy.
They could even leave Item Specifics, but shorten each field to 15 or 20 characters. 
  I like your idea best though!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@redlinear 

I know that ID clogs up plenty of other categories.  The other day, every three to five listings on a page in a "jewelry" search was car parts by that guy. It was so annoying I looked to see what was going on, and reported a few for key word stuffing the item specifics.  eBay thinks it is ok to do, as "report this item" is a bot activity/action now.  The guy is still doing it and all is well listing every car part known to man+  Bots apparently don't check the IS section.   The old school was to just put your thousands of tags/words in white on white html...LOL. 

The search I ran turned up 1300 used results.   On the 1st page, only a few were even remotely related.
Every item I opened had what looked like a thousand different words and number spammed in Item Specifics.
Probably 20 different sellers before I stopped looking.
It's getting way out of hand.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Sellers that include a laundry list of keywords that have nothing to do with their item are easy to deal with. No need to wait for eBay to take action.

For automotive listings, some sellers include a long list of makes, models and years so their items turn up in many searches. Just pick a make, model or year that has absolutely nothing to do with your search from that list, and exclude that keyword. Since keyword spammers are lazy, they quite often reuse the same list and copy from other spammers. Any listing with that keyword in the item specifics will be excluded from your results, including any listing by that item-specific spamming seller.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Original+1942+1946+1947+1948+Chevrolet+Car+Trunk+Lid+...

The longer the spam keyword list, the easier it is to exclude those items.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply