cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there Tax on a stamp & coin purchase.....?

Ebay is charging tax on a coin purchase.....I went to chat & after 10 minutes of back & forth , they said they will give a refund of the tax.....Why do we have to go & do that --Just program it into the coin section....Why waste my time with this.......Am i correct on this.....Thank you

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@sparky2722,

eBay does not charge taxes, states do. eBay and other sites are tax facilitators who collect the tax for each state and disburse those funds to them.

Depending on the state you live in there may be a tax on coins bullion and currency.  Currently 36 states do not tax or have exemptions for those items.  Each state has its own laws on what is tax exempt and what is not. The exemptions can be based several things and if a seller's listing does not include the proper information for a normally exempt item, it will be taxed.  You need to read your state's tax code for exemptions so you know what is exempt and what is not. The link below provides some info on the subject.

https://www.numismaticnews.net/coin-market/sales-tax-exemption-prospects-in-2023

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you  Mudshark for the quick reply--I reviewed the info you gave & I see in NY they charge tax on coins... My first time ordering coins on ebay....There are a few states that don`t  charge tax so everyone has to check their state to make sure.....

Message 3 of 3
latest reply