cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I am making a bid on items, if I bid high than the previous bid, do I pay the high price or do I

If I am bidding on an items and the bid is ($40.00 an example) and I bid ($60.00 example) and $40.00 is the last is the bid, what price do I pay???

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If I am making a bid on items, if I bid high than the previous bid, do I pay the high price or do I

The high bid showing in an auction will be one bid increment above the second-highest bid.  Bid increment depends on the price range.  For a high bid showing at from $25.00 to $99.99 the bid increment is $1.00.  

So if the second-highest bid is $40.00, then if you outbid them the high bid showing would be $41.00 and that's what you'd pay if you win, regardless of the amount of your full proxy bid.

There are a few minor exceptions, such as when the auction has a reserve, or when the two highest bids are less than one full bid increment apart.

Here's a discussion about how bidding works:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/automatic-bidding?id=4014 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

If the "current bid" is $40.00 and you bid $60.00, the new current bid will be anywhere from $41.00 to $61.00, depending on the HIDDEN maximum bid of the prior leader, and if there is no further bid activity before the auction ends that new current bid will be the final price.  Note that if the hidden maximum of the leader is $60.00 or more you lose (ties go to the earlier bid).

Message 3 of 3
latest reply