cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just got the weirdest phone call from an Ebay seller.....

I've bought some vintage textiles from this guy over the past 3 or 4 years.  Not a US seller.  I think maybe 3 different transactions, but not really sure.  Last purchase was maybe a year ago.   I was happy with the items, but never had any communication with this seller beyond placing the order.  Probably left positive feedback, but I honestly don't even remember.  

I'm in Los Angeles and just took phone call today from  area code that's about an hour's drive to the east.  I usually don't answer unknown numbers, but I have a cousin in that area so I answered the call.   It's this guy.... says he's (ebay seller name) and do I remember him?   I say ummmm... yeah I bought something from you in the past.  He's all chipper and chatty... as if I should be happy to hear from him.  Says he will be in my neighborhood today and wants to drop off a new year's gift for me.  

I politely said thanks but no thanks, then just hung up before he could say anything else.   I don't mean to sound rude of unfriendly, but I don't want him coming to my home.   No idea what gift he wanted to bring over,  but I don't want it. I'm a single woman and I live alone.  This phone call felt invasive and inappropriate.

I've been buying and selling on Ebay since the early days.  I've completed several thousands of  transactions over about 25 years and never, ever received a phone call from an Ebay member.    Curious what others might think of this.   Should I be freaked out? 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Your actions are wise.

You have no idea of motives in such.

Most likely just being friendly.

If you ever feel threatened by a person contact your local police department. Added just in case..

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I'd freak out too... and I'm a 40+ male adult who can physically handle himself.

Who knows with this seller... I've found during Covid times many people are desperate for any type of human interaction. Best to not do anything you are uncomfortable with, even if it means sounding a bit rude. Your safety comes first.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

OK ya that is kinda creepy! 

You might want to advise friends or family about this just in case 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

It is fine to be cautious, and, yes, I do think that a buyer ringing up a customer to ask about dropping off a gift is usually inappropriate.  However, I don't think that hanging up on the guy was the right move, but I certainly understand the reaction.  Me, I'd just be honest - tell him that you aren't comfortable meeting someone you don't know.  Heck, a little white lie is fine - I'm spending the afternoon with my boyfriend, cleaning my guns, etc. - anything to make the rare odd bird nervous about a surprise visit.  

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Sorry I'm target practicing with my M-60 in the front yard this morning 😁

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

If I had concerns about a situation in which my personal privacy and security might be compromised, I would not discuss details of the situation, or my marital status or living arrangements, publicly.   Think about asking the mods to delete your post.

You could then start a new thread, if you care to, with just the last paragraph and a few additional words:

"I've been buying and selling on Ebay since the early days.  I've completed several thousands of  transactions over about 25 years.  Until it happened recently, I had never, ever received a phone call from an Ebay member asking to meet me in person.  Curious what others might think of this.   Should I be freaked out?"

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I'm busy going camping to wrestle grizzly bears.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

The guy didn't sound threatening at all.   I'm pretty sure he's just contacting past buyers to drum up more business.   Nonetheless, it was a little unnerving.  I locked my door and I will take notice if I see "strangers" hanging around.   Also mentioned the call to my daughter... just in case something happens.

Pandemic or no pandemic,  I'm just a little baffled that this guy would think it's ok to ring people up out of the blue and invite himself to their home.... but at least he didn't just show up on my front porch. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@darkofthematinee. I don't even have to read the rest...in this day and age..YES!

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@darkofthematinee wrote:

The guy didn't sound threatening at all.   I'm pretty sure he's just contacting past buyers to drum up more business.   Nonetheless, it was a little unnerving.  I locked my door and I will take notice if I see "strangers" hanging around.   Also mentioned the call to my daughter... just in case something happens.

Pandemic or no pandemic,  I'm just a little baffled that this guy would think it's ok to ring people up out of the blue and invite himself to their home.... but at least he didn't just show up on my front porch. 

The guy could've just shipped you the gift. I get buyers from time to time insisting on meeting for pickups... even offering to pay for the shipping price. I always decline as I never really want to open a can of worms. Many things (burdens) can happen aside from the obvious security... 1) price renegotiation, 2) being stood up, 3) someone lonely insisting on being your friend... remember Cable Guy with Jim Carrey?, 4) Someone trying to get me to accept Jesus, join their pyramid scheme, vote a certain way, join their cult, etc.

I buy/sell on ebay for business, not socially. My friends pool is already full and there really isn't any room for more. Thanks.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Highly inappropriate, invasive and unusual in my opinion. I would be suspicious and disconcerted. You did the right thing of saying no thanks and hanging up. They may have mental issues, a predator, or just crazy lonely, either way, someone to avoid.

Any time that a stranger has come on strong to me pretending to be my long lost friend or overly friendly, my gut reaction is thinking, "what do they want, what's their game?"

Hopefully, they are gone from your life as quickly as they appeared.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

This is why I prefer my buyer not live locally. I sell online, might as well reap the benefits of selling online and do things on my own schedule.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@darkofthematinee wrote:

I've been buying and selling on Ebay since the early days.  I've completed several thousands of  transactions over about 25 years and never, ever received a phone call from an Ebay member.    Curious what others might think of this.   Should I be freaked out? 

I wouldn't say "freaked out," no, but that call was a little on the weird side, yes. 

I am a regular buyer from other sellers in my areas of specialty, and have gotten to know a few of them pretty well over the years, but our communications have always at least originated in email, not unsolicited phone calls. I had one seller who was retiring and who offered his old stock to me, which was an enormously generous offer (not a gift; I paid for it all), but even that was done in email, not over the phone. 

My $.02: I would not assume the worst, and the "gift" in question might have been something either too big or too fragile to ship (he does, after all, already have your name and address from prior shipments), but he should have at least sent you a message and not dialed you on the phone. I would let it go.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

You might want to edit your message and remove certain personal information.  

Message 15 of 21
latest reply