cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I found an item that is listed in two stores and the two stores have the same address in Florida.

I was looking for some audio equipment and found an item I wanted in two different stores. Each store had the same item listed at the same price. I discovered that both stores have the same address and phone number. Thus, the same item is being sold in two different stores on eBay but both stores are apparently owned by a single entity. Is this even allowable on eBay?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I found an item that is listed in two stores and the two stores have the same address in Florida.

Why not ? I really don't see the issue. What does having  more than one store with the same product for the same price matter?

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@cnymike wrote:

I was looking for some audio equipment and found an item I wanted in two different stores. Each store had the same item listed at the same price. I discovered that both stores have the same address and phone number. Thus, the same item is being sold in two different stores on eBay but both stores are apparently owned by a single entity. Is this even allowable on eBay?

Sellers are allowed to have two different selling accounts. I would think if a seller listed the same item in two different accounts they would change the price slightly in the hopes one will sell and they can end the other listing. Nothing really wrong with that unless they happen to sell both items simultaneously, but the chances of that happening are extremely rare. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@cnymike wrote:

A seller can list "1" singular product in 100 different stores, so long as they remove the item for sale from the other 99 after selling it once...

What's the problem?

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

While I appreciate the replies to my question, they are really opinions and not a definitive answer to my question. Guess I'll have to try reaching out to eBay directly to get an official answer.

The issue is that if the same entity has more than one store, they could list the same things at different prices or as one person suggested, the item could be sold on one of the stores making it not really available on the other store. And there could be other weird scenarios.

It just seems fishy to me that this would be allowed as it seems to open things up for manipulation of some sort or other.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@cnymike wrote:

While I appreciate the replies to my question, they are really opinions and not a definitive answer to my question. Guess I'll have to try reaching out to eBay directly to get an official answer.

The issue is that if the same entity has more than one store, they could list the same things at different prices or as one person suggested, the item could be sold on one of the stores making it not really available on the other store. And there could be other weird scenarios.

It just seems fishy to me that this would be allowed as it seems to open things up for manipulation of some sort or other.

There's nothing wrong with doing that and it's a common thing for sellers who sell on multiple-platforms and have brick-and-mortar stores etc.

Since it's the sellers responsibility to keep track of his/her own inventory I am not sure why you think that duty falls upon you, but knock yourself out wasting time with ebay support. 🙂

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I believe many Asian sellers use several ID's listing the same things with the same stock pics and copied descriptions. To get as many as I needed I cleaned out "three" dealers stock of a certain item, all had the same tracking number! And when they never arrived I had to do three separate INR's. And got three refunds. I think they're just trying to flood server space so more listings show in a search.

*shrug*

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@cnymike wrote:

Ebay giving  a more definitive answer on this, lol. It sounds like you've never contacted ebay before if you believe that. Please let us know the official answer when you get it...

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@cnymike wrote:

If you weren't going to be happy with anything less than an "official" answer, you should have contacted eBay in the first place.

BTW, the answers you got are correct. If you were looking for a link to some official policy, you won't get one, because there is no policy that prohibits that behavior. eBay doesn't have a comprehensive list of the things you're allowed to do, and it would be absurd to expect them to. Best of luck getting an eBay CSR to 1) understand your question, and 2) give you the correct answer.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@cnymike 

It seems fishy to me that they would have their address and phone number in their listings. I was under the impression that it was not allowed. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

If you're talking about a new item then it is highly likely that the seller has more than one of the same item and can easily list the same item in their multiple stores.

If the item is a used one and thus somewhat unique, while the practice is legal, I would advise against it.  However, there is nothing to report.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

If the listings are auctions, it is allowable.

However, as fixed price it is not.   Check the duplicate listings policy.

I tried to copy and paste the policy, but it wouldn't let me.  

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Check the duplicate listings policy.

Two different Stores with the same item does not contravene the Duplicate Listings policy.

Even if the Stores have the same owner and the same address.

As long as the owner has at least two of the item being offered.

If it is a recently manufactured item (within the last 20 years is recent, I am old and cranky) it's likely that a shop would have more than one.

If the item were used it is more likely to be one of a kind.

Personally, I would politely Message the member and let him know that his unique item has been accidentally listed on two of his accounts and he might want to remove one of them before he finds he has sold something he no longer has.

Politely-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I tried to copy and paste the policy, but it wouldn't let me.  

@biggymoe 

Here ya go.   (You have to paste it to notepad or something that will strip out the html, or you get the error/post flooding thing) 

Found here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/duplicate-listings-policy?id=4255

It is possible to have multiple auction-style listings for identical items, but there are restrictions, and only one listing without bids will be visible to buyers at a time. Once the first listing receives a bid or ends, the next listing will appear.

What is the policy?
We don't allow more than one fixed price listing of an identical item at the same time from the same seller. This includes:

Listing an identical item in different categories or listing an identical item using different usernames

Listings that aren't significantly different, such as adding an inconsequential bonus item with the same identical item in two listings

Identical auction-style listings are allowed if they:

Have the same start price

Have the same reserve price

Have the same title and description

Don't use the Buy It Now option

Multiple fixed price listings for identical generic or universal items, such as AA batteries for example, are not allowed.

Separate listings can be created for the same item on different eBay sites, as long as the international shipping options don't result in the listings cluttering the search results of any individual site

Up to 5 separate fixed price listings for identical items designed to fit multiple devices are allowed, when each listing is differentiated by spelling out the brand or model the item fits

eBay bulk listing can be used when there is many of the same item for sale

You can have more than one auction-style listing for identical items if you follow the guidelines above, but only one duplicate auction-style listing without bids will be visible to buyers at a time. Once the first listing receives a bid or ends, the next listing will appear on the site

The following rules help achieve the best possible position in eBay's Best Match sort order:

List identical items in one fixed price listing using eBay bulk listing
List items with variations such as size and color in one fixed price listing with variations
List items that fit multiple vehicles using our parts compatibility guide. (Compatible vehicles should not be in the title)

Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

The one thing that I did not see anyone cover is sponsored items. You will see them listed twice, once at the top or close to the top and keeps getting bumped up and one further down in the order it was added to the listing page. When the item is sold both go away from the listing page. Check to see if the word "Sponsored" is in the title.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply