cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Thought You Can Cancel a Purchase within an Hour -- Evidently Not:

I don't usually change my mind about purchases -- but I BINed a pair of shoes after looking for shoes of that type and color for a very long time and it had become urgent to me to find some.

I BINed a pair of shoes from a Chinese seller ( they seem pretty good quality considering and not cheap) and  I thought they would do.  Then went up and looked at my wardrobe, and realized those shoes would not go with some of the outfits I had hoped they would.   

So I decided to cancel the order, and it could not have been more than an hour. since I BIN' ed the shoes.

I hit Cancel and the following screen said the seller would SEE if they could/would cancel my order. Or if they had already shipped.

And the selller is given 3 days to decide this!!

Meaning this seller can reply in 2-1/2 ays they have already shipped, sorry, no cancelllation. 

Well it wont' be the worst disaster if I am stuck with the shoes,  they will go with a couple of things I have.  . I don't think I will want to pay to ship them back to China.

But I wonder if the one-hour cancellation privilege does not extend top purchases from SOME sellers. 

Has anyone had experience with cancellations? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The one hour cancel has always been just a request.   They seller has always had the right to honor or deny it.   Nothing has changed since they instituted it.  It just gives you that window to formally request it through eBay channels rather than to request it through a message.

If the seller actually marks it shipped before the 3 day timeline, your request is automatically denied/closed out.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for that heads up.   I have not had much experience cancelling a purchase. 

In ths case the seller did voluntarily cancel it. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@mstcwrld7 wrote:

I don't usually change my mind about purchases -- but I BINed a pair of shoes after looking for shoes of that type and color for a very long time and it had become urgent to me to find some.

I BINed a pair of shoes from a Chinese seller ( they seem pretty good quality considering and not cheap) and  I thought they would do.  Then went up and looked at my wardrobe, and realized those shoes would not go with some of the outfits I had hoped they would.   

So I decided to cancel the order, and it could not have been more than an hour. since I BIN' ed the shoes.

I hit Cancel and the following screen said the seller would SEE if they could/would cancel my order. Or if they had already shipped.

And the selller is given 3 days to decide this!!

Meaning this seller can reply in 2-1/2 ays they have already shipped, sorry, no cancelllation. 

Well it wont' be the worst disaster if I am stuck with the shoes,  they will go with a couple of things I have.  . I don't think I will want to pay to ship them back to China.

But I wonder if the one-hour cancellation privilege does not extend top purchases from SOME sellers. 

Has anyone had experience with cancellations? 

Yes, this is a common misconception.  You can request a cancellation, but the seller can accept or decline it, and Ebay gives them three days to make that decision.  

Some large sellers have the order go directly to their Shipping Department and it is irretrievable.  

Just be sure of your decision before you buy.  In this case, check your outfits first before you commit to buying, because you are committing to buying it.

never rely on a cancellation because you might not get it.  And too many may places you on Ebay's radar as an indecisive buyer and that can negatively impact your buying privileges.  And sellers may block you.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply