cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay automatically charged my PayPal account but I want to pay seller in cash

I made an offer on and item, which the buyer accepted. Ebay automatically charged my PayPal account but I want to pay seller in cash, as that's what they say they'd prefer. How do I go about reversing the paypal charge without cancelling the order? 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If this was a local pickup sale, the seller can refund you and you can pay cash on pickup.

There's nothing you can do to reverse the charge.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Was this a local pickup item?  That's the only scenario where paying cash would be practical.

And, if the seller states that cash is preferred, it almost seems like you're dealing with someone who's trying to take the transaction off eBay, which, as you know, is a big no-no. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@sirdavy,

The only way you could reverse the payment, would be if you and the seller agree to a cancellation.  You request it, and they can cancel and refund, stating buyer requested cancellation, without incurring any ebay fees.   Then the seller can relist the item as a "Private listing for sirdavy"  with local collection as the method of delivery.  no other shipping option,  You meet with them, inspect the item, and if all is well you give them cash.

If the listing you bought from did not have local pickup/collection as an option, the seller was violating ebay policy by saying they wanted to be paid in cash. Possibly they are a scammer, who knows if you pay in advance with cash, there is no record of you paying, and therefore no money back guarantee protections.  They might also be a new seller who does not know how ebay works and doesn't know about the payment hold ebay places on new sellers first few payments.  If they are not close enough to your location to make picking the item up feasible. Since you've already paid have them ship it.  They can pay for the shipping from the payment being held that is marked as Pending.  If the ship the item with tracking, the rest of the payment will be released once there is a Delivered scan. 

FYI, since you are registered as being in the U.K. you should login to your home site www.ebay.co.uk and post your issue on its community. These are the U.S. based site's community boards ebay.com that you have posted on. While many of the two site's policies are the same,  there are some that are different. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It is for a local pickup. My paypal has been charged, it's come out of my bank account. How does the seller refund me? When I pickup the item, when I give them the collection code?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@sirdavy wrote:

It is for a local pickup. My paypal has been charged, it's come out of my bank account. How does the seller refund me? When I pickup the item, when I give them the collection code?

The seller can use the "send refund" option on the order, but I would not recommend that. I've seen full refunds through "send refund" translate into an out of stock defect for the seller. The cleanest way to do it is seller cancels order, relists at your agreed upon price, you purchase without paying. The seller has to have their listing set up to accept cash on pickup otherwise you'll be forced to pay upfront. You cannot use offers or you'll be forced to pay upfront as has already happened.

If this is all too complicated @sirdavy , just let the electronic payment stand and arrange pick up. You get more buyer protections that way, which could be why the seller prefers cash. The seller does not save on fees if you pay cash. Although, if they're a new seller or if it's a pricey item they may be subject to payment holds which is why they prefer cash.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Just take delivery of the item on pickup and forget you ever thought of paying cash or worse, doing anything in the prior replies.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

". . . or worse, doing anything in the prior replies"  ? Doesn't that imply that several experienced eBayers gave the OP the incorrect information about how to handle this? Remember, OP did not state that it was for local pickup until most of us had already replied.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply