cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay - Get rid of the AI generated descriptions - Sellers leave out too much info

and just talk about how the item is great for any collection, blah, blah, blah.  

I am having to ask too many questions to sellers which is turning me off BIG TIME.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Ebay - Get rid of the AI generated descriptions - Sellers leave out too much info

It seems a lot of sellers are getting lazy and going with all this AI verbiage.  Funny, this is what eBay was telling sellers not to do before as it was turning off buyers.  Now they are encouraging it.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

IMHO- You should never rely on the descriptions or even what the seller is telling you. Obviously it helps if the listing is pictured correctly and described correctly.  Many sellers are not experts (Many Flippers) on what they sell (specific items) so always proceed with caution.

The advantage of buying on Ebay vs. craigslist or FB Marketplace is that if it arrives not as described, you have recourse to return it and get your money back.

That being said i totally understand how frustrating when there is a lack of info/pictures or the time it takes to get a reply from a Seller.  You are not alone but sometimes items with lack of info/pictures can lead to great deals (many buyers won't purchase).

-Good Luck

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I feel those sellers using AI to write their descriptions would be the type to only write “See photos” otherwise so removing the AI tool wouldn’t lead to more complete descriptions anyway…

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

The AI IS no substitute for filling out the item specifics correctly. If you do not fill out the specifics it will not generate a proper description with all the important details. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

People selling things that they have no clue about as far as adding the proper item specifics are going to go the lazy route and just hit the AI description at times. Yes, it tells you very little about the actual product UNLESS YOU know what you are selling. At least it’s a classier description. LOL!!!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Agree with you on that.  A lot of them just say to see pictures, but you can't always see everything in pictures.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Just as bad are the sellers that don't bother to clean items and expect top prices for you to clean the dirt.  I am not talking about things that need expert cleaning, but sellers that sell silver and act as if some people just love tarnish on sterling.  Or sell tablecloths and linen with stains and say, well it probably will come out, but....

It only takes a few minutes to clean the crud off of something before you list it.

I do.  In fact, I wash tablecloths etc. before listing (and actually press them) because I then get to see the condition of the item.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply