cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Bad Sellers Hurt The Platform?

I have had more seller initiated cancellations in the past few months, than all my years on eBay.

Do bad sellers make you think twice about shopping on eBay?

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

of course,

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Cancellations are occurring on other platforms and I would have to say that yes sellers who are cancelling hurt the platform. I haven’t had an eBay seller cancel but I’ve had 2 on another platform recently and I can’t leave them a negative feedback and the cancellation doesn’t hurt them in anyway. I think it hurts that platform more than it would if this was eBay.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I don't buy much anymore on ebay mainly because of seller cancellations. Hunting for deals is pointless when the seller most likely won't honor it. It is considerably more common now than it used to be because ebay took away any and all penalties for having an unhappy buyer. Many sellers won't even cancel. They will wait for a buyer to open a case and then refund. Buyer "lost" case = no feedback. Shopping on ebay isn't worth the time and effort that it takes anymore, not when there are so many alternatives. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@savanna.dance wrote:

I have had more seller initiated cancellations in the past few months, than all my years on eBay.

Do bad sellers make you think twice about shopping on eBay?

I've never had a seller cancel my order for any reason. I have a list of sellers who are reliable and honest. Those you can place on your following sellers list.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

There’s a number of reasons I rarely buy here anymore. I e had orders cancelled but it’s mainly the seller investigations. Googling buyers addresses, looking them up on FB that kind of thing. I know the info is out there but it’s not the sellers business.
I hope I make the next chat because this trend is disturbing.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yes , bad sellers make you think twice about shopping and do hurt the platform in my opinion.

When buying, you know the possibility of a seller cancellation does exist, that you may never receive the item, & if received the item may not be received in the condition described in the listing.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

just one of several issues. yes, it hurts! ebay has become my last option, if i can get it somewhere else for a little more, then i gladly pay the extra to avoid the issues here!

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Oh yeah they do make me stop shopping here - one of them even LIED and told eBay me the buyer initiated it.  I just let it go but no longer shop with that seller.

**************************************************************************************
I'm only on the internet once or so per week, so if you have a response or question for me and I don't get to it within 2 hours, be prepared to wait another week or more. Sorry but fuzzy furballs take catnaps too!! -)
MY REVIEW/GUIDELINES FOR BUYING ON EBAY FOR BUYERS -UPDATED JULY 31 2017
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Those other sites are behaving in this regard more like businesses out in the real world, where things happen that require cancellation, and their landlord doesn't just flat out slit the merchant's "throat" for such Human oopses (like pricing errors, or running out of stock, or having other little inventory errors for example).

eBay tends to operate out of a totally bizarro alternate universe where the slightest misstep can shut a seller down.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

eBay tends to operate out of a totally bizarro alternate universe where the slightest misstep can shut a seller down.

Unless you're Chinese, then you can cheat with impunity.

I do not like walking into a store, picking out something, taking it to the cash register to pay, then having someone say, "You know, I decided not to sell this today," and taking it out of my hands.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Those other sites are behaving in this regard more like businesses out in the real world, where things happen that require cancellation, and their landlord doesn't just flat out slit the merchant's "throat" for such Human oopses (like pricing errors, or running out of stock, or having other little inventory errors for example).

but 'in the real world', most would not sell an item that is out of stock, most would honor a mismarked price and wouldnt claim item lost or damaged after the sale! it isnt the rare 'oopses' so much, but rather the fact that it is so common! you accidentally sell me an item that you no longer have, not good, but i will get over it. you 'accidentally' make this same mistake repeatadly and it becomes neglegance, then eventually bussiness as usual. your single one time 'oopse' is quickly lumped with the thousands of cronic abusers. regardless if ebay punishes you directly or the consumer slowly leaves ebay, ALL sellers will lose.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Absolutely.  I mentioned this over on the Selling forum, but one of my friends just recently had a bad experience with a seller who didn't ship the item she'd bought for more than two weeks.  She ended up having to file a case because they never shipped it at all-- and this wasn't a Chinese seller or a big box store, it was a US seller.  Had she not been an occasional seller herself, she probably wouldn't have bothered with eBay after that, and who can blame her?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@jrinam wrote:

but 'in the real world', most would not sell an item that is out of stock, most would honor a mismarked price and wouldnt claim item lost or damaged after the sale!

I work retail and we do in fact honor mismarked prices as a standard practice.  Why should the buyer be penalized for something that was our mistake?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

bad policy in place leads to bad sellers & buyers ...if the people on top don't care what go's on here everything will aways go spiral downward leading to people taking advantage ....it doesn't lead too a good buying experience.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply