cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different tracking numbers... scam?

So I bought an expensive watch at a to good to be true price from a new seller with zero feedback which is a big no no but I couldn't resist. He wasn't the greatest at communicating but he did. When he told me he was going to ship item out that day I got worried when I checked tracking on ebay and it still said usps awaiting item. So I contacted him and hours later he responded with a picture of a usps recipt with a different tracking number than ebay provided. Could this possibly be some short of scam? I ran the tracking info he gave me and it is in the system. Just worried so any advice helps. Thanks 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@curtis_1434 wrote:

So I contacted him and hours later he responded with a picture of a usps recipt with a different tracking number than ebay provided. 

I ran the tracking info he gave me and it is in the system. 

What is the weight on the USPS receipt @curtis_1434 and does it show you zip code?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@curtis_1434,

Of course this could be a scam, the warning signs were there but you ignored them. However, it could also be a case of an inexperienced seller who goofed when entering the tracking number. All you can do is wait until one or the other of the tracking numbers gets a delivered scan, to see if you get the watch.  If the watch doesn't arrive but tracking shows delivered, then come back to these boards and tell us about it, and also which one of the tracking numbers, the ebay one, or the photographed one got the scan. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

" So I bought an expensive watch at a to good to be true price from a new seller with zero feedback which is a big no no but I couldn't resist "

Says it all.  Yes I suspect the fake tracking number scam.  I hope you paid by credit card and even then it's not so easy to fight.

You would have to file an item not as described case with eBay for that.  You would lose a not received case as it will show delivered .  eBay only checks it was delivered to your zip code, not your address.

Do not do anything until you come back here if it says delivered and you received nothing. We can then advise you on your options.  Too good to be true always is.....

Message 4 of 4
latest reply