cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did ebay change how you can pay

The last time I made an offer to a seller eBay said they would let me know if I won and would bill my credit card. I have always paid through PayPal so how do they know what card it goes to through PayPal. They even said  what my last four was on the card. Seller didn't accept the offer  which actually made me happy because I was worried about paying. I would like to bid on an item but don't know if the same thing will happen if I win the bid. I dont want eBay to decide how I'm going to pay. Anybody have this happen? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The seller knew the last four digits of your credit card? I wasn't aware that sellers get this kind of information.

When you make offers you are normally asked to pre-authorize the transaction so if the seller does accept you will be automatically charged. Every time I have done this I'm always asked which is my preferred method of payment and they used that, but I have seen other buyers say a payment they didn't prefer was used instead.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

No, eBay said they would submit payment to my credit card and said what my last four was not the seller. No, it didn't ask me for my preferred payment.  I guess it is happening to other buyers too then. I have done offers before and this has never happened. Don't know what will happen if I bid on an item. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

You set your default payment source that eBay will bill at My eBay: Account: Payments.*  You can set it to PayPal (but not PP credit or pay in 4 or the like).

You set up who PP will charge (credit card or bank account) at paypal.com  Settings (gear icon top right) Payments,  Automatic Payments, scroll down the list in the left column and select eBay (you might have to click a More button at the bottom several times to get to eBay) then set up which card/account to have PP bill.

*ETA:  And on the screen to confirm the bid or offer (if eBay and the seller require pre-authorization) there is a link to change from the default payment method and/or shipping address--always make sure both are what you want for that transaction and change them if not.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@ponjani 

The same preauthorize deal is rolling out for auctions. Not everyone is affected.

Also some sellers uncheck the box in "buyer requirements" that eBay auto check marked for sellers.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply