cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication Preferences > Competing Offers

Communication Preferences > Buying Activity > Competing Offers

"Competing Offers" is a recent addition. It's separate from "Offers to buyers" and "second chance offers" Can you tell us what that setting controls devon@ebay kyle@ebay ?

I've asked a few experienced buyers and sellers, but none of them had an answer. The best guess I've seen so far is maybe eBay is now alerting buyers when another buyer makes an offer on an item from their watch list?

commpreferences-buyingactivity-competingoffers.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Communication Preferences > Buying Activity > Competing Offers

"Competing Offers" is a recent addition. It's separate from "Offers to buyers" and "second chance offers" Can you tell us what that setting controls devon@ebay kyle@ebay ?

I've asked a few experienced buyers and sellers, but none of them had an answer. The best guess I've seen so far is maybe eBay is now alerting buyers when another buyer makes an offer on an item from their watch list?

commpreferences-buyingactivity-competingoffers.png

Hey @wastingtime101! We are still waiting to hear back with more insight on this and once we do we will let you know!  

Devon,
eBay
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Looking forward to an answer on this one. Thanks devon@ebay .

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Looking forward to an answer on this one. Thanks devon@ebay .

Hey @wastingtime101! We are still waiting to get 100% confirmation but based off of the various people I have spoken to, this feature is designed to allow buyers the chance to still send offers and purchase an item even if the seller has another offer from another potential buyer.   

Devon,
eBay
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

By that, is it safe to assume you mean not just another offer, but another offer that's been accepted but not paid yet devon@ebay ?

Asking because it's always been possible for a buyer to make an offer on a listing with make offer no matter how many offers other buyers sent in. And it's always been possible for seller-initiated offers to go out to multiple buyers with the option of counter-offers.

It's under buyer settings, not seller settings, so it seems kind of odd if the intended purpose is for buyers to be able to submit offers to sellers when there's an existing competing offer. That seems like it would be a seller setting, not a buyer setting.

Plus it's under communication preferences, so wouldn't it have more to do with the types of communications eBay sends buyers, not whether or not buyers could submit competing offers?

Sorry for all the confusion - it's just not clicking for me right now. Will wait until you can get a full confirmation on what that setting does. Thanks again.

GLORIOUS!

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to you for your solution I've been seeking for a couple days and I'm not a computer illiterate. 😕
(how to switch payment method of shipping labels)
I even called EBay and the nice guy couldn't tell me how. Made my day, thanks!!

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@wastingtime101 my first thought was maybe it's to set whether you, as a buyer, want to receive communication about when there are competing offers in play?

I can't find any examples right now, but similar to your watch list idea, I seem to recall seeing posts here in the past where eBay was sending out messages to buyers trying to create a sense of urgency by alerting them that other buyers had received offers from the seller for the item or that their offer had been accepted but the sale isn't final until checkout is completed so they should "act now" to make sure they get the item....or something along those lines.

I could see how that option might make sense for buyers to be able to control if they receive those kinds of messages.

Hopefully devon@ebay can confirm or provide more detail if that's not it.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@recycleyourself wrote:

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to you for your solution I've been seeking for a couple days and I'm not a computer illiterate. 😕
(how to switch payment method of shipping labels)
I even called EBay and the nice guy couldn't tell me how. Made my day, thanks!!

I assume that was a post on a different discussion. Glad it helped @recycleyourself . It's something even front line CS should have been able to help you with; sad to hear that did not happen. Come here any time you need help.

GLORIOUS!

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I can't find any examples right now, but similar to your watch list idea, I seem to recall seeing posts here in the past where eBay was sending out messages to buyers trying to create a sense of urgency by alerting them that other buyers had received offers from the seller for the item

That's on regular seller initiated offers (aka "offers to buyers" on the communication settings displayed in the OP). Not something I'd link to this new "competing offers" setting.

SIO-messagetobuyer.png

@valueaddedresource wrote:

or that their offer had been accepted but the sale isn't final until checkout is completed so they should "act now" to make sure they get the item....or something along those lines.

But that's just an accepted offer, no? I get the item is still available and someone else could purchase it, but I don't think that would be considered a "competing offer".

I did have an "out there" idea which probably has zero basis in reality @valueaddedresource :

Say a buyer is interested in a catalog item like an iPhone - what if competing offers means they express interest in one item (add to watchlist or cart or just view multiple times) so they get offers from that seller, but then they also get offers from other sellers with the same exact item in the same condition? Like I said, just a theory with zero to back it up. Add some iPhones to your watchlist, Liz, maybe you'll get some competing offers from different sellers. 😂 (Man, if that "out there" guess turns out to be right I think I deserve a prize.)

I could sit here and make guesses all afternoon, but I'll wait and hopefully Devon will come back with a definitive answer. It's a communication setting in the buyer's control; eBay should be able to tell us what communications that setting will turn on or off. It's crazy Devon has to work through a maze of people to find the one that knows about the setting. I didn't think it would be such a challenging question. Sorry, Devon. But I still hope you can find the answer.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I did have an "out there" idea which probably has zero basis in reality @valueaddedresource :

Say a buyer is interested in a catalog item like an iPhone - what if competing offers means they express interest in one item (add to watchlist or cart or just view multiple times) so they get offers from that seller, but then they also get offers from other sellers with the same exact item in the same condition? Like I said, just a theory with zero to back it up. Add some iPhones to your watchlist, Liz, maybe you'll get some competing offers from different sellers. 😂 (Man, if that "out there" guess turns out to be right I think I deserve a prize.)

@wastingtime101 wow I hadn't thought of that and while it is a little out there, it's not so far out there that I'd say it's not possible.... you know I'm always up for testing things out and you will definitely deserve a prize if that's it. 😂

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@wastingtime101,

I think that @valueaddedresource 's last reply is what "Competing offers" means. 

The way special offers from sellers works is they are sent after 30 people have viewed or watched a sponsored item.  Allowing  sellers whose items who haven't reached that mark yet, to have their offers displayed, as competing offers, opens the doors to reach more people and possibly make more sales. They are trying to reverse their down slide in the market after all.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Yes, it was on another thread that had been closed for comments. 🙂
You're awesome, thanks again!

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I just now saw a post on Reddit about someone in the process of submitting an offer getting a popup message indicating that someone else had already offered more, and I immediately thought of this thread.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Thanks @eburtonlab ! That does support the theory from the OP, in a sense.

"The best guess I've seen so far is maybe eBay is now alerting buyers when another buyer makes an offer on an item from their watch list?"

A pop up is not the same as an eBay message, but perhaps there's a connection.

GLORIOUS!

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@eburtonlab thanks for that info, very interesting! 'd be interested in reading that if you have a link handy.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply