cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese seller product showing as located in USA

Why do so many seller, that are located out of the country, have their products show up as located in the USA? How can this be possible?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

A great many Chinese sellers warehouse their goods in the US. So they can legitimately say the item location is in the States. 

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Hmm...hard to compete with that. Unless we Ebay sellers have our own factories. Which, unfortunately, I don't.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Why do so many seller, that are located out of the country, have their products show up as located in the USA?

@pudly123 

Because they lie. 

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Then Ebay should perhaps list them as actually being located in China. Or perhaps we should put something such as "A real US seller" in our listings to let people know they are buying from their fellow Americans. 99% of the lowest priced products on Ebay come from Chinese sellers. And by listing as being in the USA, that seems a bit dishonest in a way.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Or perhaps we should put something such as "A real US seller" in our listings...

@pudly123 

Actually, "US Seller" declaration is the first big clue that the seller is NOT in the US.  Ever see all those listings with American flags all over the stock photo pictures along with a lot of text?   If you click on their feedback number on a listing, yours is (389), you will be taken to a page where the seller's location is not mentioned, and have to click through "see all feedback" to finally find out.  

Some will claim they have US warehouses or 
suppliers (but on occasion may have to ship from the manufacturer) LOL....   I seriously doubt any self respecting seller from China or the dropshippers that sell their stuff is going to rent warehouse space in the US, when they can ship their stuff directly from China for pennies.  Some use the US "port of entry" as the location of the product as well.  

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

How could they ship each item from a port? Who would pack and ship it? Wouldn't they have to have workers?

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

How could they ship each item from a port?

@pudly123 

They are not shipping from the US port of entry.  They are shipping from CHINA, and the merchandise enters the US in say California or whatever state they choose.  It is merely 
subterfuge, often in combination of tracking services that don't start "tracking" anything until it enters the US.  

Long time buyers are aware of the various tactics used, while others are lured by the too good to be true "cheap price".  

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@pudly123 wrote:

How could they ship each item from a port?

They can't/don't.  

The best "tell" I can see right now on listings is the estimated delivery date.  If it's 2 months from now, I'm assuming delivery is coming from China.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Actually, "US Seller" declaration is the first big clue that the seller is NOT in the US.

Very true.

Some will claim they have US warehouses or suppliers (but on occasion may have to ship from the manufacturer) LOL.... I seriously doubt any self respecting seller from China or the dropshippers that sell their stuff is going to rent warehouse space in the US, when they can ship their stuff directly from China for pennies.

I have ordered from sellers registered in China that did actually ship from a US warehouse location as advertised, so not all of those sellers are being deceptive.

I have also ordered from US-registered sellers claiming to ship from the US who nonetheless drop-shipped directly from China, so it can go both ways.

The registration location is still one data point to take into consideration when deciding to place an order, particularly if you are trying to avoid foreign transaction fees. But registration location and item location can be different.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

I don't know about that. Look at this listing and check out where the seller is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126001575570?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPI...

If it is coming from China, how could it get to a destination in US in 2 days? 

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Yes. But there are many, many listings by Chinese sellers that have estimated delivery in as little as 2 days or so. How they do it is a mystery without warehouse and workers. And even that doesn't make sense.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

It has to be warehouses. But the rent, taxes, utilities and workers for these warehouse would seem to prohibit them from selling so cheaply.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

They have big consolidated warehouses ran by customs brokers just like amazon or WHI solutions ( ebay car parts partner )

Basically they import a range of items and have a catalog that you choose to list from and when you sell its shipped from the closest warehouse to the buyer.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@pudly123 wrote:

I don't know about that. Look at this listing and check out where the seller is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126001575570

If it is coming from China, how could it get to a destination in US in 2 days? 

When I look at the listing, I see that the seller does not ship to Canada and that the item location is Dayton, New Jersey.

Besides not shipping internationally, the seller doesn't ship to PO boxes or to Alaska/Hawaii.  Actually, I'm surprised that they can even ship within the United States as North America is also on their exclusion list.  

Message 15 of 29
latest reply