cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargeback scam on buyers

I purchased items from a seller on ebay. The seller then fraudulently made an account with my name and address on a supplier website, had the items shipped to me, and then skipped payment somehow (fraudulent credit account, or did a chargeback?). The company now wants return of said items or payment in full. This was from a few months ago, and items have already been used. So i will be out of the payment sent to the ebay fraudster, as well as paying for the merch to the company. 

Any buyer protection in this case? 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

What you have written here makes zero sense. 

If you are the buyer .... who is this other buyer? How did this "buyer' know your address and who you bought from to go to a different site and have stuff shipped to you?

How is a 3rd party now wanting items that were shipped to you without your knowledge returned or paid for ??

Why would eBay be involved in a "supplier website" claim?

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Sorry, replace the word”buyer” with “seller” and hopefully it makes more sense. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Seller made an account on a company’s website I have used before. Definitely a weakness on their part if they allowed that to happen. Try to order something now from said company, and they want payment for the items previously sent that the seller ordered for me. 

so the seller has my money from the purchase, and I am left to either return the item (and be out of my money) or pay in full for the item, which I already paid for on eBay. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I'm still a bit confused here.  If you've purchased from that website before, wouldn't you already have an account?  How was the seller able to create another one?

Does this supplier's website require email or cell phone verification when one creates an account?  

Anyway, to answer your question, you have no protection from eBay in a case like this.  I would contact eBay customer service either through online chat with an agent, or through Facebook and X/Twitter just to make sure that this is on its radar, even if they are unable to offer much in the way of assistance.

At the very least, file a complaint through the Internet Crime Complaint Center (https://www.ic3.gov) to get this on somebody's radar.  Maybe even file a police report in the seller's city if you feel up to doing that.

Also advise the online vendor of the steps you are taking to get this situation investigated or recorded.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Definitely seems like a weakness on the company’s part if they allow another account to be created. Possibly even an insider?

and, this seller is still listing items on eBay. 

I have reported a similar listing as fraudulent with the backstory, we’ll see if eBay does anything. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Ebay probably wont do anything since the MBG has expired.

If you paid through Pay Pal, open a case with them or contact your credit card.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

On what grounds could the buyer open a PayPal case or credit card chargeback, @kensgiftshop?

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

On what grounds could the buyer open a PayPal case or credit card chargeback, @kensgiftshop?

Fraud would be a good reason.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Ebay probably wont do anything since the MBG has expired.

If you paid through Pay Pal, open a case with them or contact your credit card.

I’m sure eBay won’t do anything wrt refund. 

But since I have notified them about this, the seller should get banned, correct?

if not, then EBay is being complicit in a scam. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

It sounds like you are describing a triangulation scam.

See here for some background info:

https://www.valueaddedresource.net/triangulation-fraud/

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I believe this is exactly it, with the addition that the e-commerce site has tied the transaction to my existing account probably because of the same address and name, and is trying to recoup their loss. The order and account setup was fraudulent, so I don’t think they can force anything on my part, but likely to blacklist me from ordering anything again. 

So Ebay has been notified. They get paid for transactions so don’t have incentive to stop this, well unless they don’t want to be a conduit of fraud.  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

It was their lack of  checking that allowed it to happen.   They allowed id theft.  A  variation of the triangle scam.   Don't reply to it.  Over the years many buyers have gotten such requests and they just go away.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

It would be a good reason, but do credit card issuers consider that type of fraud to be grounds for a chargeback?  The card the buyer used wasn't compromised and the merchandise was what the buyer was expecting.  "Unauthorized use" and "item not as described chargebacks" are the usual types of fraud associated with card not present transactions.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

It would be a good reason, but do credit card issuers consider that type of fraud to be grounds for a chargeback?  The card the buyer used wasn't compromised and the merchandise was what the buyer was expecting.  "Unauthorized use" and "item not as described chargebacks" are the usual types of fraud associated with card not present transactions.

No, the buyers card was not compromised.

They did receive the item they were expecting, but didn't receive it the way they though they would.

I don't do credit cards, so don't know what options they have for doing a charge back, but a Not As Described would work.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 17
latest reply