cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling a bid

I have an item that two people bid on. One recently canceled their bid and I didn't know you could do that? I have items I'm buying on eBay and it doesn't give me an option to retract my bid. Can a bidder do that? Obviously so because it was done to me without any knowledge. Just confused...

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Canceling a bid

A buyer can RETRACT a bid if there is more than 12 hours left (or during the last 12 hours if it is within 1 hour after the bid was placed).  The buyer MAY retract for one of 3 reasons (typo in entering the bid, in which case s/he is obligated to rebid the correct amount; seller changed the description; or seller's email or phone # on file with eBay is invalid).  Go to the Bid History Page (click on the # of bids display on the Listing Page for the auction) and in the retraction/cancellation section at the bottom you, as seller should be able to see the reason chosen by the bidder (that display is hidden from users other than the seller and that bidder).  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Canceling a bid

Thank you. She said she entered wrong amount but then never rebid again so I'm guessing she changed her mind. Didn't know you could do that. Thank you. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Canceling a bid

@woodland_gnome wrote:

A buyer can RETRACT a bid if there is more than 12 hours left (or during the last 12 hours if it is within 1 hour after the bid was placed).  The buyer MAY retract for one of 3 reasons (typo in entering the bid, in which case s/he is obligated to rebid the correct amount; seller changed the description; or seller's email or phone # on file with eBay is invalid).  Go to the Bid History Page (click on the # of bids display on the Listing Page for the auction) and in the retraction/cancellation section at the bottom you, as seller should be able to see the reason chosen by the bidder (that display is hidden from users other than the seller and that bidder).  

The third reason that you state is incorrect and there is an error in the first reason that you state.  

Per eBay (screen capture below), one is able to retract a bid if 

(i) the amount of the bid entered is incorrect (there is no statement regarding being "obligated to rebid" in the screen capture below);

(ii) the seller significantly changed the description of the item after the bid was submitted; or

(iii) one is "unable to contact the seller" (thus, your third statement, "seller's email or phone # on file with eBay is invalid", is incorrect).

Per eBay (screen capture below), "if you want to retract your bid for any other reason or there's less than 12 hours remaining on an auction, you'll need to contact the seller to ask if you can retract your bid.  The seller must cancel the bid on your behalf."

image.jpeg

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Canceling a bid

Thanks. Got it. The seller retracted stating she entered the wrong amount. She never did bid again. It gave me that she bid wrong amount under the reason, but she never bid again. I thought they were obligated to enter the right amount they wanted? She didn't.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Canceling a bid

@smabrouk wrote:

@woodland_gnome wrote:

The third reason that you state is incorrect and there is an error in the first reason that you state.  

(i) the amount of the bid entered is incorrect (there is no statement regarding being "obligated to rebid" in the screen capture below);

(ii) the seller significantly changed the description of the item after the bid was submitted; or

(iii) one is "unable to contact the seller" (thus, your third statement, "seller's email or phone # on file with eBay is invalid", is incorrect).

Per eBay (screen capture below), "if you want to retract your bid for any other reason or there's less than 12 hours remaining on an auction, you'll need to contact the seller to ask if you can retract your bid.  The seller must cancel the bid on your behalf."

image.jpeg

No, I am right.  "Unable to contact seller" is defined as "This means that you have tried calling the seller and the seller's phone number doesn't work, or you have tried emailing the seller and it comes back undeliverable" on the actual retraction page http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RetractBidShow.  

As to the obligation to rebid on the same page: "You accidentally enter a wrong bid amount (for example, you bid $99.50 instead of $9.95). If this occurs, re-enter the correct bid amount immediately."

Do NOT rely on the brief "Here's what we found" blurb you get  in response to a keyword search on the help and contact flow.  They are way oversimplified.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Canceling a bid

@reds1105 wrote:

Thanks. Got it. The seller retracted stating she entered the wrong amount. She never did bid again. It gave me that she bid wrong amount under the reason, but she never bid again. I thought they were obligated to enter the right amount they wanted? She didn't.

Unfortunately eBay has not do much to enforce the Invalid Bid Retraction policy  https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/invalid-bid-retraction.html   in the past few years and bidders regularly get away with "picking a lie" and not rebidding the correct amount if they choose the first one (though it is not always possible for the retractor to bid the correct amount after the retraction if someone else has entered a bid between the retractor's bid and the retraction since that would raise the minimum bid above what it was at the time of the retractor's bid).

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Canceling a bid

I'm guessing she changed her mind. Didn't know you could do that.

There are way too few reasons for retracting a bid.

I believe the reason that eBay doesn't bother chasing the 'fake excuses' one is that they know the choices are too limited.

Personally I would add:

• I changed my mind
  • the babysitter's cat bid
  • I sobered up
  • I spent all my money on pizza and beer
  • I just found out Trumpcare will raise my insurance premiums by 3000% and won't cover me anyway because I had acne as a teenager.

I'd rather have a retracted bid than have to hold up relisting for a week or more while completing a UID case from someone who already told me they didn't want the item.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Canceling a bid

@woodland_gnome wrote:

@smabrouk wrote:

@woodland_gnome wrote:

image.jpeg

No, I am right.  "Unable to contact seller" is defined as "This means that you have tried calling the seller and the seller's phone number doesn't work, or you have tried emailing the seller and it comes back undeliverable" on the actual retraction page http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RetractBidShow.  

As to the obligation to rebid on the same page: "You accidentally enter a wrong bid amount (for example, you bid $99.50 instead of $9.95). If this occurs, re-enter the correct bid amount immediately."

Do NOT rely on the brief "Here's what we found" blurb you get  in response to a keyword search on the help and contact flow.  They are way oversimplified.

Below is a screen capture of the Changing or Retracting your Bid section on the Bidding Overview page, https://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bidding-overview.html. I thought that you might enjoy a longer source -- the Bidding Overview page.

Some points for you to note are the statements:  

(I) "When you retract the bid, we remove all bids you placed on the item. If you are correcting a bidding error, you must bid again."  It is important to note the conditions stated -- "If you are correcting a bidding error" -- in regard to the need to bid again.  Even eBay acknowledges the gray area using this statement.

(II) "You can't reach the seller by telephone or email." is included in this section on the Bidding Overview page as in the previous screen capture.  Keep in mind that eBay does not give seller contact information out to everyone and that most sellers do not include phone numbers in their listings.  For the most part, buyers are limited to communication with sellers via the eBay message system.

Despite my having found and included screen captures of this information twice in the eBay Help system, you must agree that eBay has some consistency problems with its pages.

IMG_0179.PNG

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Canceling a bid

@smabrouk,

"Despite my having found and included screen captures of this information twice in the eBay Help system, you must agree that eBay has some consistency problems with its pages".

Yes there are some inconsistancies in eBay's policies, and there have been for a long time now, since eBay started doing abreviated Here's what we found answers, developed mostly for those who use the app.

Still in the A-Z, Index (B)  Bidding: overview,   Bidding: Retracting or canceling a bid, & Bidding: Retracting (policy) the policies given are the same. It looks like your first screen shot, came from a resolution or help topic search.

If you are going to quote policy in the future, use the A-Z Index which gives the definitive long version policies. In this case it is 3 to 1 infavor of the Gnome.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Canceling a bid

If the bidder retracted their bid using the "bid wrong amount" excuse and then failed to immediately re-bid, they have committed an invalid bid retraction and a policy violation.  Alas!  eBay has made it nearly impossible to report such violations. Apparently, they don't care much whether or not buyer's follow their policies or not.

My suggestion is to cancel any other bids by that person on any of your auctions and put them on your BBL.  If you have the time or inclination to deal with eBay's, so called, CSR's you might want to call to report the violation.  However, I wouldn't  expect much to come of it.

Unfortunately, there is a good chance that your item will sell to the other bidder for a lower price once the other bidder's bids have been removed.  If you think that this was an attempt to shield the other bidder's bid, thus manipulating the selling price, you could cancel all of the other bids on the item and let the auction close without a winner.  However, you would then still run the risk of a sniper winning the auction.  You could also close the auction after canceling all the bids, but I believe you can only do this once a year without it costing you.

Oh!  If you decide to cancel the other bidder's bid, I would recommend putting them on your BBL  as well.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 11
latest reply