cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't us Gift Card to bid on Items.

Now that a majority of sellers require a payment method to bid how do you use a gift cards to bid on items.   Why are all payment options not available.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Say you have $100. on a gift card. The auction winning bidder might be you. And the winning bid is $109.

How you going to pay? You only have $100. on gift card. Some buyers forget the tax and shipping with that $109. top bid.

Say you bid and won and received item where you used  a gift card....and now you want to return it for a refund...You can't get a refund on a gift card.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Say you have $100. on a gift card. The auction winning bidder might be you. And the winning bid is $109.

How you going to pay? You only have $100. on gift card. Some buyers forget the tax and shipping with that $109. top bid.

Say you bid and won and received item where you used  a gift card....and now you want to return it for a refund...You can't get a refund on a gift card.

Before the current asinine automatic payment requirement being rolled out it was absolutely possible to use a gift card if the purchase was more than the balance on the card. If you're allowed to complete checkout after the purchase eBay applies the balance of the gift card then lets you choose a second funding source for the balance. 

And while gift cards don't provide the protection of a credit card, you can get a refund to the card balance. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

The past is the past...we are talking about current auctions on eBay. We are talking about now with the "new" ongoing process of auctions.

The process of returning a refund is not as easy as 1...2...3 when it is not a eBay gift card.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

The past is the past...we are talking about current auctions on eBay. We are talking about now with the "new" ongoing process of auctions.

The process of returning a refund is not as easy as 1...2...3 when it is not a eBay gift card.

I don't recall saying it's "as easy as 1...2...3". I said it was possible, which it is.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Your reply was directed to me specifically....why?

I did not ask a question for you to answer.

Can you direct your answer to the person with a problem.

We are here to help...give" opinions" and "suggestions" to the person needing help.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Say you got the refund from using a gift card back at eBay Checkout

-- when say you'd pop open the Gift cards, Vultures, Coupons area near the bottom of the page

-- and say you'll see that refund with a checkbox to apply a portion or all of that refund to the gift card to your next purchase?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

"And now you want to return the item you bought for a refund"...Just a refund for the item...not the card itself.

Say you bought something with those ""15% or 20%" and such coupons...and decide to return only what was purchase.

And what if one has only a $1.00 left on the eBay gift card....and you want to bid using it.

Too complicated and time consuming...just my opinion. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@justin33_99 wrote:

Now that a majority of sellers require a payment method to bid how do you use a gift cards to bid on items.   Why are all payment options not available.

Contact the seller and ask if they would mind removing the auto payment in your case as you wish to use a Gift Card to pay.

If they are not certain how to:

It is on the Buyer Management page
https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Scroll down to the bottom and there is a section:
Buyer Payment Requirements

There is a checkbox for: Require buyers to provide payment method before they make an offer – Untick that box.

Or from mrlincoln (thank you) an easier way:

Use the info below to add the card to PayPal.

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click on the "Wallet" tab.
  3. Click on "Link a debit or credit card."
  4. Select "Link a card manually."
  5. Enter the gift card information, including the card number, expiration date, and CVV code.
  6. Click on "Link Card."

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Your reply was directed to me specifically....why?

I did not ask a question for you to answer.

Can you direct your answer to the person with a problem.

We are here to help...give" opinions" and "suggestions" to the person needing help.

It was directed to you because the information you gave was incorrect. We are also here to not give wrong information, which is usually more damaging than no information at all. I'm always grateful when someone corrects or clarifies if I've given wrong information. Because we all do at some time.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

@justin33_99 wrote:

Contact the seller and ask if they would mind removing the auto payment in your case as you wish to use a Gift Card to pay.

If they are not certain how to: 

Why not @downunder-61 just pop open the "Gift cards" area, yon down under the page: 

xaxa59_0-1702258407450.jpeg

When you're prompted to "Set default payment method" as you're about to make an offer or place a bid?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

It would be totally unreasonable to assume that when you provide a payment method, Ebay would not do an authorization hold for the amount of your bid or your offer.

It is possible that an authorization hold will not be possible on a gift card. Or the amount is greater than the card can accept.

It is also possible that the gift card is a debit card and Ebay is attempting to use other than the card issuers network, and the network they are using will not accept an authorization hold.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@xadexane  Well coz that would be too easy 😂 Honestly, had no idea you could.

I have copied this for future replies, thanks for that.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 13
latest reply