cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get seller to cancel item.

On January 9, 2023, I  paid for an item via Paypal.  The seller, who had never sold anything before said he was unable to access the payment, and so he hadn't really received the payment yet.  He did contact me in late February after I complained to  E-Bay and tried to arrange a meeting where I would pay for the item.  (We live about ten miles away from each other.)  He also told me that he had tried to power on the item, a hi fi receiver, and it had not powered on.  I told him I would not have bought the item if I had known this, and we verbally agreed to cancel the payment.  He has since not done anything, although I have contacted him, and the entire situation seems to be in limbo.  I have never received the item, obviously, and he says he has never received any payment.  I am 73 years old.  Please, somebody, help me with this.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

was this payed through eBay??

Or go to PaypPal and file a non receipt of item their for relief.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Age is no excuse for failing to read eBay's buyer protection policy, which they call the "Money Back Guarantee":

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Unfortunately, your protection under that policy expired 30 days after the latest estimated delivery date.  So as suggested in the other post, you have to file a claim for "Item not received" with PayPal or with your credit card issuer.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It's not clear if you paid for an item... If you did pay through PayPal you have to file claim within 6 months to get your money back. If you did not, and tried to make any arrangements with a Seller to pay on site, and it didn't work, nothing to worry about. Obviously the Seller doesn't want to sell the item, just find a different source.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I suspect the seller was new and didn't realize that eBay holds new seller's funds for 28 days or until the item is delivered. But the seller's payment issues aren't your problem. You're protected by eBay's Money Back Guarantee, but you may have passed its deadlines. You have 30 days past the last estimated delivery date to open an 'item not received' case. If it's been longer than that, you have 180 days to open a dispute with PayPal in their Resolution Center

And just for the record, you shouldn't be playing the age card at 73, which is not that old. All that does is promulgate the notion that all seniors are daft. I'm 70, yet here I am, answering your question. Surely one doesn't lose their faculties in the space of three years.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

When you say that you paid him through  PAYPAL, did the seller give you the email address?  If yes, go to paypal and look for the transaction.  Do you see the word CLAIM in the transaction? If yes, click it and the money will automatically come back to you.   That means that the seller has the wrong email address registered on paypal or he gave you the wrong email address.    You are NEVER supposed to pay a seller directly through ebay.

Now if you used Paypal to pay w/o getting the seller's email address, that means that ebay is holding his payment. See if he can go to the transaction and CANCEL the sale with the excuse "BUYER REQUESTED".  That should automatically release the funds and they should go back to you.  You would get an email from Ebay confirming and the funds show up in a day or so.  Just getting the letter is enough to know that you will be refunded.

Otherwise, do what the others stated.  Please answer the question if the seller sent you the email address.   Otherwise, do what the others stated. If you open a case, you open ONE case and you follow the directions. You will have to wait.   Do NOT open a second case because the first case will automatically close.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@toybrats wrote:

When you say that you paid him through  PAYPAL, did the seller give you the email address?  If yes, go to paypal and look for the transaction.  Do you see the word CLAIM in the transaction? If yes, click it and the money will automatically come back to you.   That means that the seller has the wrong email address registered on paypal or he gave you the wrong email address.    You are NEVER supposed to pay a seller directly through ebay.

Now if you used Paypal to pay w/o getting the seller's email address, that means that ebay is holding his payment. See if he can go to the transaction and CANCEL the sale with the excuse "BUYER REQUESTED".  That should automatically release the funds and they should go back to you.  You would get an email from Ebay confirming and the funds show up in a day or so.  Just getting the letter is enough to know that you will be refunded.

Otherwise, do what the others stated.  Please answer the question if the seller sent you the email address.   Otherwise, do what the others stated. If you open a case, you open ONE case and you follow the directions. You will have to wait.   Do NOT open a second case because the first case will automatically close.

This is completely, totally, utterly wrong. You should always pay directly through eBay. That's the only way that provides protection under the MBG. And eBay doesn't allow the exchange of email addresses, nor is it necessary. You can pay with Paypal through eBay checkout, which is what I'm sure the OP did.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply