cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a RV

The buyer says she needs my info for ebay to ship the RV to me for a 7 day inspection,  prior to me paying her. It just doesn't sound right. Can someone please help me. I don't know what to do. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Buying a RV

SCAM SCAM SCAM!

There is no RV, there is no shipping and free returns. If not found on eBay in the listings, eBay has nothing to do with it.

If the price is too good to be true, then it is a SCAM. 

eBay does not ask for payment via gift cards. Once they have the number off the cards, the money is GONE. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Buying a RV

Beware scammers who advertise on other sites and tell you that the transaction will be handled through eBay.

That is not how eBay works. eBay does not rely on users finding ads on Facebook or other sites and sending contact information to a seller. Likely the seller will send a phony "invoice" that appears to be from eBay but is not, asking you to pay with gift cards to have the vehicle shipped to you for a free evaluation period.

eBay has no warehouse and does not ship vehicles. eBay does not handle such transactions or provide "vehicle protection orders". Scammers often promise those things, though. Any phone number you may receive on such an "invoice" does not connect to eBay, but to the scammer.

Anyone that asks you to purchase gift cards or to send card codes to them to complete a transaction is trying to take advantage of you. Anyone asking for a gift card is looking for a gift at your expense. Once anyone else knows the code, your money will be gone and you will have no recourse.

See here for some info about avoiding such scams (US links):

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes/online-vehicle-sale-fraud

The only way to purchase a vehicle on eBay is to sign in to eBay, find the vehicle on eBay and complete the checkout process on eBay, so that the item appears in your Purchase History. Then you typically meet the seller to inspect the vehicle, pay the seller, and collect the keys, title and vehicle.

If you encountered an ad on another site, contact that site to have the ad removed. eBay is not involved with any ads listed on sites other than eBay itself.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Buying a RV

You need to run like your pants are on fire.

You did not find this on eBay.

There's  no inspection period. Vehicles can't  be returned.

eBay doesn't handle payment arrangements on vehicles. 

The thief listed an RV at a price well below value hoping to hook you.

They're  trying to steal prepaid credit cards or gift cards.

Forward that fake email you received to spoof@ebay.com and report the fraudulent ad on the site you found it on.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Buying a RV

A very common scam.

eBay does not store or deliver any item for sellers.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Buying a RV

It does not sound right because it's a SCAM from a liar and a thief.  eBay never assists in sales or payments of items on other sites.  It has to be listed on eBay to be an eBay sale.  There is no other way.  eBay will never tell you to buy or pay with gift cards. 

eBay provides real sellers with all the info they need to complete the sale.  They never have to ask a buyer for it.

To ship such an item it would cost about 4000.00 dollars.  Sellers won't take back a baseball card without a fight. No one would spend that much to ship it each way so you could inspect it.   That would be over 8000.00 dollars.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Buying a RV

This is a fairly common scam attempt.  Sadly, buyers do fall for it, that's why it's been around for so long.

Exactly where did you find this vehicle listed for sale?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply