cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is asking to pay first before he refunds the excess.

I requested 2 items from the buyer's list and requested combine shipping. However, ebay didn't allowed me to request combine shipping, so I messaged to the buyer if he could reduce combine shipping. He replied "I will pack your order and refund the excess. Since I do not know your address until you pay, I cannot estimate the excess. Please pay first."

Is this legitable? Is this how it works when combine shipping is not available?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Im sure you are saying "seller" and not buyer.

YOU are the Buyer.

Of couse this is legitimate and many sellers will do this if the items can be combined.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

My mistake. Yes. I am the BUYER, and I am talking about the SELLER.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I refund buyers all the time for excess shipping charges. This is how I am able to obtain "repeat buyers". Some of my buyers ask me first and some do not even ask. I still refund them if they paid too much for shipping.

When I buy from someone I usually get an updated shipping charge the next day....these are usually auctions I have won.

It's quite normal and this is where feedback comes into play. Read the seller's feedback to see if the seller is an honorable person in shipping charges.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

"I requested 2 items from the buyer's list and requested combine shipping. However, ebay didn't allowed me to request combine shipping, so I messaged to the buyer if he could reduce combine shipping. He replied "I will pack your order and refund the excess. Since I do not know your address until you pay, I cannot estimate the excess. Please pay first."

Is this legitable? Is this how it works when combine shipping is not available?"

Not sure what "legitable" is, but it is legitimate.  
It actually is "how it works" when combine[d] shipping isn't automatic, like it used to be.  

eBay sellers will never  know their buyers' delivery address until those buyers pay for their purchases.  
eBay sellers have always had an option to do a partial (or full) refund on any sale transaction. 

Your eBay seller will probably use that option, and your refund will be made electronically by eBay, meaning eBay will process the refund as an electronic credit to your payment source (credit card, debit card, GooglePay, etc., etc.).   

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You can provide the seller with your state & the zip code

Message 6 of 6
latest reply