cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brief rant: The "private" offers are not "private." Not exclusive.

Words have meaning, and that "a few other interested buyers also received this offer" - so I'd better hurry up and buy the item - it's just gotten to be too much.  This is not "private."  And usually, the seller had nothing to do with it.  aaaargh

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@maxi314 wrote:

Words have meaning, and that "a few other interested buyers also received this offer" - so I'd better hurry up and buy the item [...]  This is not "private."  

You are correct, that is not a "private offer" on eBay. That is a general seller initiated offer which goes out to buyers that expressed interest in item by adding it to their watch list, to their shopping cart, or viewing it multiple times.

I'm unsure why you are referring to it as a private offer. Did a seller say something to you about it? If so, perhaps that seller did not quite understand the difference between a private offer and a seller initiated offer.

Private offers do exist, but they are formal offers sent through eBay's message system. When a buyer contacts a seller, that very first message has 2 buttons available to the seller: Reply and Reply With Offer. When the seller hits Reply With Offer, that will generate what's considered a Private Offer and it will go only to that one buyer, not to anybody else @maxi314 .

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@maxi314,

If words mean so much to you, then the title of the message before you open it should matter.

Seller offered a special discount of X%...

The messages are sent out once 30 people have viewed or watched sponsored item(s), so the message isn't sent to everyone who has looked at other listings for the same item from other sellers.  Maybe thinking of this as being a member of the seller's Private club might make you feel more important, like being a Prime member without paying for a membership. You do get an offer not sent to everyone.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@maxi314 

I just realized, I didn't respond to;  "And usually, the seller had nothing to do with it". 

Actually, the sellers pay an additional fee for sponsored listings, which when you open one, adds you to the list of 30 views, which generates those Special offers. They pre-set the offer discount percentage when they set up the sponsored listings.  So yes, the sellers have everything to do with the offers you receive.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@maxi314 

< "private" offers are ... Not exclusive >     

To be sure.  You can rent a movie theater for a private showing – for a birthday party, for example – but if it is for a birthday party, you aren't going to be alone in there.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Words do have meaning. And private means 'belonging to (or for the use of) a particular person or group

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

There is no reason, other than an attempt to tantalize to encourage a purchase, for eBay to use the word/term "Private."  And you know it.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

The messages are sent out once 30 people have viewed or watched sponsored item(s),

Hi @mudshark61369 . 👋

Seller Initiated Offers (aka SIO aka Offers to Buyers) are 100% unrelated to promoted (sponsored) listings.

SIO can be sent out when there are as few as 1 interested buyers. 30 is the max number of buyers that can receive an SIO on a single item at once.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@maxi314 wrote:

Words have meaning, and that "a few other interested buyers also received this offer" - so I'd better hurry up and buy the item [...]  This is not "private."  

You are correct, that is not a "private offer" on eBay. That is a general seller initiated offer which goes out to buyers that expressed interest in item by adding it to their watch list, to their shopping cart, or viewing it multiple times.

I'm unsure why you are referring to it as a private offer. Did a seller say something to you about it? If so, perhaps that seller did not quite understand the difference between a private offer and a seller initiated offer.

Private offers do exist, but they are formal offers sent through eBay's message system. When a buyer contacts a seller, that very first message has 2 buttons available to the seller: Reply and Reply With Offer. When the seller hits Reply With Offer, that will generate what's considered a Private Offer and it will go only to that one buyer, not to anybody else @maxi314 .

GLORIOUS!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@maxi314 wrote:

Words have meaning, and that "a few other interested buyers also received this offer" - so I'd better hurry up and buy the item - it's just gotten to be too much.  This is not "private." 

Sure it is-- it's private to the people who are watching that particular item. It is not an offer that is open to the public.

Something can be private for a group, not just an individual. For example, my friends and I have private game nights that are only for my friend group and anyone we may specifically wish to invite. They are not something that anyone can just join without being invited by one of us.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I am very grateful to you for your non-judgmental, gentle response.  Indeed, I receive the message, just to be clear, here it is:  :Because you showed interest in this item, the seller sent you this private offer.  A few other interested buyers also received this offer - it won't last long.  Hurry and take advantage right away!"  All I want is the elimination of the word "private."  I think you are the sole person responding who did not chastise.  I think it was the mudshark person who actually said something to the effect of - if you want to feel important -- I do not even want or care about "likes."  Or badges.  And, I'm quite certain that your explanation of how these messages are sent varies from mudshark - and perhaps others.

And, one can easily see contradictory answers to any questions about how eBay works, even answers provided by "high-badgers."  There were more important aspects related to buying on eBay for which many people who don't just buy, often without basic item descriptions, and throw items away, or otherwise dispose of them, without a second thought.  I cannot afford to do that, nor would I want to.

Anyway, I am grateful to you for your gentle and helpful response.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Ah, I see @maxi314 . eBay is the one confusing things by using the term "private offer" in the wording on what is a "seller initiated offer". Technically speaking, from the seller side, private offer and seller initiated offer are 2 different things. eBay sometimes makes things more confusing than they need to be.

However in this context, the posters above that mentioned it's a general use of the word private referring to the small (as few as 1, as many as 30) interested shoppers that got the message, are correct. The word private is referring to the fact it's not a publicly-accessible discount, and only the small private group that received the offer through messages (including yourself) can access that discount. It's private to that small group.

GLORIOUS!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

The condescension is a mystery.  I do not sell.  Perhaps I should attempt selling one item in order to learn the inner workings of eBay.  I do not want to "feel important."  Most ironic is receiving a "private offer" from a seller who has not responded - after days - to an item details question.  Bottom line is that, yes - it is eBay that generates - and wrote these automatic messages.  But why the slighting tone at all? Not overly-sensitive - your writing is clear - and slighting.  Moreover, why shill for eBay as though the company guy.  Not a Community forum for help to those of us who want as easy transactions as possible with the least confusion?  I do not understand.  (Even on this page, if you do not click on "additional options" you never see the "email me when someone replies."  

It is swell that you are an expert in these matters and have mastered every aspect of eBay.  Please pardon.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@maxi314 wrote:

Most ironic is receiving a "private offer" from a seller who has not responded - after days - to an item details question.  Bottom line is that, yes - it is eBay that generates - and wrote these automatic messages.

Can't speak to why the seller has not responded. Can say that SIO (seller initiated offer) can be done manually one at a time, manually in bulk, or set up with automation. No way to tell from the message itself whether the offer you received was manual or automated by the seller. One way or the other, it was initiated by the seller.

eBay does write the wording on SIO, but there is a small space where the seller can include a personalized note.

SIO can be sent when there is as little as 1 interested shopper (there don't have to be any listing views - technically an interested shopper can add the item to their watch list from search without viewing the listing). A seller can manually send out the first SIO then have the system automatically send out the same offer any time there are new interested shoppers.

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply