cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bots and Kids

What is eBay gonna do about all the bots and kids bidding on this site? It makes it impossible to get anything.  Place bid on an item, then a 0 feedback account bids it up, bids it up, bids it up.  If you counter bid, it bids more, then it wins the auction, then surprise - auction isn't paid for and the item gets relisted 2 weeks later.  Or you find Pokemon cards or a toy, get outbid, and then the bid amount for a $10 item is bid up to $200 by some kids, then it doesn;t get paid for, and is relisted, and start all over again.  It's become impossible to get anything on eBay anymore. I just gave up completely on auctions.  I have used eBay since 2005 and the entire place is in the toilet.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Bots and Kids

@kathiec wrote:

I'm curious how you know a bidder's age or whether they're human.

It's likely related to the nature of the category.  My husband says the same thing in the category he tends to ship in...that kids with barely any feedback will bid a listing up then it gets relisted.  He's shops in a collectibles category that does tend to attract kids who don't commit.  They know this because the category has a close knit community outside eBay that discusses the collectibles including ones available on ebay. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Bots and Kids

Some categories are more prone to get kids bidding.   Have you tried looking for items that are buy it now?  If priced too high, perhaps you can make an offer?  Goodluck.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

Don't bid like that.   Wait until very near the end before you bid your one TRUE maximum bid so they aren't reacting to "bid it up" and "bid more."

Bid your TRUE maximum that you are willing and able to pay for that particular item as listed (don't forget to back out shipping etc.) WITHOUT REGARD to what others appear or don't appear to have bid. There is absolutely no need to figure out what others have or haven't bid or might bid* in determining your bid amount, since it ALREADY will have been figured into the price if you win. While some claim tactical reasons to place a lower bid early in the auction and then wait until near the end to bid your full TRUE maximum, I advise bidding only 1 time (can't repeat it enough: at your TRUE maximum) because you are never guaranteed a rebid (and there are circumstances where the prior bid prevents a rebid on that same auction). For several reasons later bidding is better than early bidding (doesn't use up your Limits, keeps your options open, doesn't leave your hidden maximum available for others, including dishonest sellers, to probe by "nibbling" at it) and I recommend using a third party "snipe service" (do a websearch, there are reliable and secure ones that are free for limited use or there are different fee schedules that best suit your bidding quantity and ratio of wins) to place your bid during the last few seconds using eBay's API rather than the not especially reliable web interface or, worse, mobile app.

*(other than to assume someone else will value the item about the same as you, so bid a bit ABOVE any round or roundish number you come up with to increase your chances of being on the winning side of what might have been a tie or a loss to someone else who knows this tip)

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

Is this a joke post?

Invalid  bid retractions are the  REAL problem for auctions.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

@janet9988 wrote:

Is this a joke post?

Yep. And the OP is a serial retractor.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

@unemployed_husky

" Place bid on an item, then a 0 feedback account bids it up, bids it up, bids it up.  If you counter bid, it bids more, then it wins the auction...".

You've been bidding on eBay auctions since 2005 and still do not understand what sniping and automatic bids are all about?  @woodland_gnome is absolutely right about not playing their game, but left out one thing.  It takes at least two bidders to run up the price. One bidder cannot bid against themselves and raise the price. 

Automatic bidding has been around since I first joined in `98. So has bidding in the last seconds aka sniping.  Bid sniping services, which some call bots, have been around for less time but are a useful tool, used by snipers who may not be able to be around at the end of an auction. 

Unfortunately, sport bidding, bidding up items with no intention of paying, does happen in some categories more than others.  If you think seller's like having to go through the unpaid item process and waiting to relist the items, you are wrong. Chances are the relisted item doesn't get as many bids so you may do better the second time around.  Just bid once, for the most you are willing to pay for an item, as near to the end of an auction as you can or are willing to, and don't bid in round numbers. You'll win more auctions that way and avoid the sport bidders or possible shills.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

Shop the buy it now listings.  No bidding with those.     

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

@unemployed_husky 

< it bids more, then it wins the auction >     

If they're shill bidders, they must be the world's worst.  The whole point of shill bidding is to run other bids up higher, not to win the auction.      

You have 41 bid retractions in the last 12 months.  Thank you for posting on this board.   

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

@kathiec wrote:

It's likely related to the nature of the category.  My husband says the same thing in the category he tends to ship in...that kids with barely any feedback will bid a listing up then it gets relisted.  He's shops in a collectibles category that does tend to attract kids who don't commit.  They know this because the category has a close knit community outside eBay that discusses the collectibles including ones available on ebay. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

@jameshen1 wrote:

@janet9988 wrote:

Is this a joke post?

Yep. And the OP is a serial retractor.

OP is chasing the high bid..........

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

learn bidding patterns + subject matter.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

and i have over 300 purchases in this year alone. what's your point?  on your way out the door look at my feedback.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

thank you, the one person here who knows what they are talking about. if i can give you an award i would.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Bots and Kids

@unemployed_husky wrote:

learn bidding patterns + subject matter.

I've been on eBay 10 years longer than you have. I know better than to make assumptions based on bidding patterns or subject matter. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply