cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad feedback I left for a seller disappeared

I'm pretty **bleep** off about this. I've been a buyer and seller on ebay since 1999. Recently I bought an item and the seller subbed a much cheaper product. I contacted them, they offered me a refund - but I had to send back the $3.00 item first. I'm not driving 25 miles to the post office to mail back a $3.00 item, when I ordered a $14.00 item. I threw it in the trash and left bad feedback for the seller.  The first time in 21 years I've ever left bad feedback.  Now it has disappeared.  I was never contacted for "my side of the story".

Ebay treats their sellers like this and then wonders why Amazon and Etsy are destroying them.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I think your side of the story was that you refused to return the item to the seller. Did you get a refund?

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

I use USPS carrier pick up for both outgoing sales and returns. Is this available where you are?

I know you are upset. However, if the seller insists, you do have to return the item in order to get a refund. Open a SNAD return request (wrong item), get a return label from your seller and send the item back.

You did exactly what the bad seller was hoping that you would do, which was refusing to return the item and slam his FB. Getting the neg removed didn't cost him anything, and now he suffers no other consequences for his actions.

Another thing you can do is to be more careful when shopping and don't buy from dropshippers. Some are ok, but many of them aren't.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I was never contacted for "my side of the story".

eBay never has and never will contact a buyer to get "their side of the story". I do not believe Amazon or Etsy do this either. 

I'm not driving 25 miles to the post office to mail back a $3.00 item

If you filed a "Not As Described" dispute with eBay, eBay should have issued you a return postage shipping label. So you do not need to go to the post office; the USPS can pick it up at your location.

and then wonders why Amazon and Etsy are destroying them

I didn't realize that eBay thought Etsy was destroying them. What is your source for this information about eBay's state of mind?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

If you were refunded as part of a return, feedback may automatically be removed. You also may have violated the feedback rules. If you opened a case and did not follow through, ebay may have also decided the case in favor of the seller, which again would remove your feedback.

I agree on your larger point about fairness though. eBay provides a platform yet doesn't develop a mechanism to help individuals resolve issues. I think this is going to prove a mistake in the long run. As big as Amazon is, they seem to be able to provide people with individual solutions when issues arise.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

No. My story is I wasn't going to drive a 50 mile round trip to return a $3.00 item I never ordered. That's my story. 

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

You obviously know nothing about ebay.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

The Post Office picks up at your door for free. No need to drive anywhere. So that's should be used as a crutch. It takes about 5 seconds to open a pick-up request online. 

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I thought negatives just disappear after awhile. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

That's one of the reasons I've left Ebay as a buyer.  I left a negative after a seller took my money on a BIN and then proceeded to shake me down for even more money.  I said no and they canceled and claimed I asked for the cancel.  I left negative and the idiots CS agent removed it.  I complained and the idiot CS said that it was a mistake and they will "talk to the agent".  Then the next day the exact same thing occurred on another purchase.  Add to that a seller who didn't ship and cursed me out when I asked for a tracking number.  That seller harassed me for months.   Ebay did nothing.  Then another seller gave me a special offer.  I paid and she never shipped.  She put it back up for sale.  When the cancels reach 50% of your purchases, it's time to find another site.  I'm waiting on a single package to arrive, it's two weeks late.  Then I will be gone. 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

It would appear that by failing to return the item as per the MBG, you have lost the dispute and thus you're not permitted to leave feedback.  Perhaps you should review the terms associated with the MBG before continuing to purchase on the site.  While eBay's MBG offers excellent protection for most buyers, failure to follow the correct procedure will result in disappointment.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@iowatrader wrote:

I'm pretty **bleep** off about this. I've been a buyer and seller on ebay since 1999. Recently I bought an item and the seller subbed a much cheaper product. I contacted them, they offered me a refund - but I had to send back the $3.00 item first.

@iowatrader 

So, this has happened to you twice recently? I see you made the same claim in the feedback you left for the dog treats this month.

@iowatrader wrote:

The first time in 21 years I've ever left bad feedback.

Except the negative and the neutral you've left for two sellers . . .

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@iowatrader wrote:

No. My story is I wasn't going to drive a 50 mile round trip to return a $3.00 item I never ordered. That's my story. 

Thus you are stating that you failed to abide by the terms of the MBG and even made up your mind not to do so.  Therefore, you have lost the dispute and there is nothing more to be said.  You are not entitled to a refund nor qualify to leave feedback because of your failure to follow the correct procedure.  Period.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

The post office does pick up priority mail for free, but other mail is picked up only if you also happen to have a priority mail article for pick up at the time.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

It appears the value of the buyer's time & effort involved in returning the item  exceeded the dollar amount of a refund.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply