cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic bidding on somethung with a reserve

I want to bid for something with a reserve. Someone else has already bidded (let's say for example £100). So I come along and want to bid up to £300 max. If I placed a bid for that a point,  my understanding is that the automatic bidding would push my bid up by increments enough to stay on top up till my maximum was reached. Does anything change if there is a reserve? Does my bid get immediately incrimented to exceed the reserve, or does the auto bidding just ignore the reserve and just respond to other bids?

Thanks

Jim

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The auto bidding responds to the reserve: If your bid meets or exceeds the reserve, then the high bid showing will immediately jump up to the reserve price.

In your example, if the reserve was set at $300, then immediately after you place your bid for $500, the auction would show "reserve met" with a high bid showing of $300.  Whereas if the hidden reserve was higher than $500, then after you bid, the high bid showing would be just one bid increment above the other bidder's bid of $100.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The auto bidding responds to the reserve: If your bid meets or exceeds the reserve, then the high bid showing will immediately jump up to the reserve price.

In your example, if the reserve was set at $300, then immediately after you place your bid for $500, the auction would show "reserve met" with a high bid showing of $300.  Whereas if the hidden reserve was higher than $500, then after you bid, the high bid showing would be just one bid increment above the other bidder's bid of $100.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If your bid meets or exceeds the reserve, your bid will jump to the reserve amount and you will be the high bidder with the reserve met. If your bid does not meet or exceed the reserve, your bid will just jump one increment above the next bidder if there is one or stay at the starting amount if your the only bidder.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks to Nobody's_perfect and Simba6, both useful answers. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Incredibly helpful answers about the interplay between auto bid and a reserve.  The way it works can really affect one's bid strategy.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply