cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Pay

I’m just trying to make an offer on things, but I want to use my funds to pay for them. They make me put in a credit card and I can’t use my funds to pay for the item. I just want funds to be an option. It used to be. I would make an offer with my card in there and if I didn’t have enough on my card, I could pay with funds, but that doesn’t work anymore. I know how to buy auctions and buy it nows with funds but I can’t make an offer with autopay with my funds. Please fix this

edit: I’m a teenager and don’t have anything else to spend the money on my debit card on so I usually it near empty. I usually buy on eBay using my funds

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Auto Pay

@12slabs 

Now that eBay has forced your ID into the auto-pay program, your choices for payment are limited.   There is no way for a buyer, even with an impeccable record to remove themselves from the harness. 

It is a function of preferences eBay placed on all seller's accounts with a default set to yes.  

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Many sellers do not know that they have these, so you can ask if they will turn them off.  There will be no Google Pay, Apple Pay, PayPal credit, PayPal Pay in 4, Spendable Funds, coupons, seller promotions, etc. once you set a DEFAULT Payment source on eBay in order to proceed.   The ability to combine items for one shipping cost will not be an option either.  

eBay says this program is to deter buyers from not paying for accepted offers or auction wins. eBay refuses to dispense with non-payers which would be a more suitable consequence instead enrolling people that DO pay into auto-pay that often provides a miserable buyer experience.   However, it does discourage buyers that actually pay from participating as well.  It makes eBay more money.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Auto Pay

@12slabs 

BTW/FWIW  Your buyer requirements are set to YES  to require this same thing for buyers.  Unless you are plagued by non-payers, you may wish to turn yours off as well.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Auto Pay

@ittybitnot wrote:

It makes eBay more money.  

Having more money in the forthcoming holiday season can be seen as a good business move.

One example

Manny corporations in gratitude & appreciation dispense to their loyal & talented executives a bonus, helping  retain their valuable services.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Auto Pay

So ebay touts this wonderful new 'service' of being able to use your 'spendable funds' then totally screws it up by not allowing "some" buyers to use them for offers or auctions.

Good one ebay.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Auto Pay

@ittybitnot wrote:

eBay says this program is to deter buyers from not paying for accepted offers or auction wins. eBay refuses to dispense with non-payers which would be a more suitable consequence instead enrolling people that DO pay into auto-pay that often provides a miserable buyer experience. 

Hey @ittybitnot . From today's Seller Update:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2023-fall/business

We know that unpaid items have been a longstanding challenge for many of our sellers, which is why we’ve made improvements to reduce unpaid item incidents for Buy It Now and Best Offer sales. Since the recent launch of these improvements, we've already seen significant increases in successful payments for Best Offer items. Here’s what we’ve done in the past few months to improve the experience:

Changes to Buy It Now purchases

We've increased the price threshold for Buy It Now items that require immediate payment. This update allows you to sell higher-priced Buy It Now items, and ensures that buyers are required to provide a payment method during checkout to secure their item.

Best Offer updates

All buyers are now required to add a payment method when making offers on Best Offer listings. After you accept the offer, we’ll automatically charge the buyer’s chosen payment method so they won’t have to return to eBay to complete their purchase.

These changes are automatically applied to buyer offers, so you don't need to update or make changes to your Best Offer listings. We also plan to launch similar changes for Seller Initiated Offers, buyer counter offers, and auctions to even further improve the experience for sellers.

We're also implementing stricter policies–including account suspension–for users who repeatedly win auctions or make a Best Offer on items but fail to complete the purchase.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Auto Pay

@wastingtime101 

I saw that.  "These changes are automatically applied to buyer offers, so you don't need to update or make changes to your Best Offer listings. "

Wonder if sellers who would like to encourage combined orders from the same buyer can still turn the preference off?  

Buyers pay more, sellers pay more, and eBay gets another raise. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Auto Pay

@ittybitnot wrote:

Wonder if sellers who would like to encourage combined orders from the same buyer can still turn the preference off?  

Yes, that's still possible. It's even in the seller update FAQs.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply