cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attention Buyers: They are back!!!!! Please be aware of this issue.

I am including a photo here taken from an actual listing.  It is for a camera.  It is for a physical product, and it is from a scam listing.  Please note the last line in the tiny font under coverage:  

(Not eligible for eBay purchase protection programs)

You can buy all sorts of things bicycles, computers, GPUs,  golf clubs, Iphones, etc. for a great price, but don't buy any of these that have that tiny print.  

If you do, and your item doesn't arrive, you will not even be allowed to file an eBay claim.  This is listed in an incorrect category with NO buyer protection.  If it is listed in the correct category, AND an incorrect one is chosen as a second category, there will be no MBG coverage.  If you are using a phone, that second category may not be shown to you at all.  So WATCH for this. 

camera.jpg

T

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@ittybitnot,

That message would also show up in the MBG box in the upper right of a listing page. Instead of Learn more it would say;  This item is not covered by the Money back guarantee.

mudshark61369_2-1676805935820.png

If you still have the listing saved, do a screen shot of the category the camera is listed in.  Instead of Cameras & Photo, it is probably listed in Business & Industrial, which makes it ineligible for MBG coverage.

Is the seller a very low or (0) seller?

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Are we still able to report a listing like this to eBay?  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Are we still able to report ......

@soh.maryl 

Yes, there is a report button.  Last time a few months back when the scam was in full swing and I found some of these I was told by a "blue" here to use

Listing practices

Search and browse manipulation

Listed in incorrect category

This will bring up a text box to include further information.  
The text box has a character limit, so I just put in something along the lines of FAKE listing, product in wrong category to void buyer protection. 

I really don't know who monitors these reports.  Sometimes they are removed, other times they remain up til SOLD, and most often they appear again with the same photos and exact description over and over by different IDs.   

My main concern is for the people that actually "buy".   When they get nothing, they get the shaft from eBay and can't make a claim sincer the listing had no money back guarantee.  This is accomplished by the bot procedure and backed up by the CS foreign call center/chat reps.  

More disturbing was to find that a buyer that was a recent victim of this was also told by PAYPAL that they could not file a claim there either since the product they purchased was in a category that did not allow claims i.e. a laptop listed under "websites for sale".  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If you still have the listing saved, do a screen shot of the category the camera is listed in.  Instead of Cameras & Photo, it is probably listed in Business & Industrial,

@mudshark61369 

It could also be listed in "both".  So long as ONE non-eligible category is included, the MBG coverage is removed.  Typically, I don't save them. Too many to worry about.  My question remains, if I can find them, why can't eBay?  

Next time I look at some of these I am going to see if any those fake listings for Rolex watches have the authenticity guarantee...LOL. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

So how does that happen?  Do they purposely choose the wrong category, or simply opt out somehow? 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@baydealz 

They purposely list in one of the categories not eligible for the MBG.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply