cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As a BUYER why am i now paying SALES TAX for purchases from CHINA???

As a BUYER why am i now paying SALES TAX for purchases from CHINA??? this just started for me, is 'oBey' sending that $ to china - or POCKETING IT THEMSELVES, i dont understand why they would be doing that. I saw some other posts here from back in January, but it just started happening to me 'right now'...

NOTE: the items are being shipped from china, delivery date dec 10thish... am i really to believe that a chinese company has a presence in california, and thus requires tax settlement...

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

sales tax is collected for the state that the item was delivered to. eBay remits that money to the state.   It does not go to the seller.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I broker goods from Japan and pay sales tax because my state charges sales tax.  The tax is levied on where the goods are delivered, not where they originated. The tax will be handled the same as all other sales tax.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@buyconferencedvds wrote:

As a BUYER why am i now paying SALES TAX for purchases from CHINA??? this just started for me, is 'oBey' sending that $ to china - or POCKETING IT THEMSELVES, i dont understand why they would be doing that. I saw some other posts here from back in January, but it just started happening to me 'right now'...

NOTE: the items are being shipped from china, delivery date dec 10thish... am i really to believe that a chinese company has a presence in california, and thus requires tax settlement...

Actually, you were always suppose to be paying tax in the form of use tax on all purchases that you had delivered to you within the state.  From the wording of your post it sounds like you weren't doing that.  So it is fair to ask why you weren't doing that?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You we're supposed to be remitting use tax in California all along. Unfortunately,  buyers were either ignorant of that fact or blatantly disregarded it, so after a Supreme Court decision (South Dakota vs Wayfair), many states decided to institute a marketplace facilitator law.

These LA sports companies like eBay, Amazon and all other large online marketplaces to collect and remit sales tax.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply