cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A seller stole from me. Ebay does nothing. The seller is still on the platform.

The product I ordered stuck at customs and was automatically shipped back to the seller. I've been trying since to return my money from the seller, and god knows I've tried hard: ebay messages, LinkedIn messages, email - no response from the seller in months. I have been trying to solve this via ebay support - they tell me that they feel me, and then do nothing. The seller is still on the platform as if nothing happened.

So, here is the situation:

1. My money is in his pocket. 

2. I haven't gotten my product.

3. The seller is ignoring me

Equals my money is gone? How is this even possible???

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I know I'm trying to tell them a scam site is using them for reference and there is no department to report it to?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@smnkgv,

Since you are registered as being in Portugal  the information we give you may need to be checked because the ebay site you are registered with is probably one of their European based sites, and the terms may be a bit different on them than the ones on the U.S. Based site (ebay.com) where you have posted your concern.  Most people from Portugal register on either the Spain based site (ebay.com.es) or on the U.K. based site (ebay.co.uk)

You should go to your home site's community and post your issue on its boards.

It would seem that you have not read the terms of ebay's Money Back Guarantee (MBG).  When a package does not arrive by its last estimated delivery date, you can file an Item Not Received dispute. If there is not a delivered scan for the tracking number.  ebay will either have the seller refund you or they will refund you, and get the funds from the seller. 

In the future when ordering items from other countries, you need to make sure what you order can be imported into your country.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the answer, @mudshark61369 , I will post my concern to the UK version too.

This is not the first time I have ordered items to Portugal from other countries, including from the US, and I've never had any problems with this before. 

1. The seller claims to ship to Portugal.

2. I've already tried the "item not received" dispute. When I was doing back-and-forth with the seller and the postal office, corresponding with them both to figure out what to do, the dispute was auto-closed due to "inactivity". I still haven't received the product, and I still want to dispute it very much!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@smnkgv,

"I've already tried the "item not received" dispute. When I was doing back-and-forth with the seller and the postal office, corresponding with them both to figure out what to do, the dispute was auto-closed due to "inactivity". I still haven't received the product, and I still want to dispute it very much".

If you had read the terms and time frames of the Money Back Guarantee you would have known that if the seller could not prove delivery, they would have had to refund you. Because you were probably contacting the seller outside of the dispute, they stalled you past the point of being able to ask ebay to step in.

I do not know if ebay's U.K. site has a way to contact ebay U.K. via social media, so you should ask that question on their community boards. Also include the information about the seller stalling you past the 30 day time limit, for asking ebay to step in.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for the answer. 

I was not contacting the seller outside of the dispute, but I was doing what he told me to do, which was contacting the postal service. He told me:

"Please contact your local post offices and ask what you need to do. Held in Customs LISBOA CP DOUANE, PORTUGAL May 26, 2023, 6:36 am"

I did, and they told me it was already too late and that they were about to ship it back to the seller.

Of course, I can prove that the product was shipped back to New York. I never received it, not money.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Awful, what a stupid web site. But you have to be timely.

I've had a seller pull the same thing on me. Except he lived 10 miles away in the next town. USPS said item got delivered, and apparently what happened he underpaid the postage, and the item got delivered BACK TO HIM. The stupid USPS never said *where* got delivered. But ebay sorted that one out because I jumped on it pretty fast.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Just to clarify, when you open a claim or contact eBay, you need to do so through the site that you were signed in to when you purchased the item, regardless of which site you are registered on.   For example,  if you were signed into eBay.com when you made the purchase, the rules on this site would apply and you would open a case here.

With that being said, it’s unlikely that ebay will take any action on a transaction that long ago. A money back guarantee case needs to be opened with 30 days after the estimated delivery date. It’s not clear if you did open one but if you did,you would only have been able to ask eBay to step in for a limited time. (About 21 days)

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

How did you pay for your item? If you paid with a credit card you can call them and file a dispute. I would check to see what recourse you have with whatever you used to pay. Hope you find a solution and you get your money back.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Same here, the seller got back the product, refuse to send it back to me and ebay couldn't be more useless. Now after 2 years I tried buy again and the package is late... Cant find any information... 🤡

Message 10 of 10
latest reply