cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What button books do you recommend ?

I have been buying buttons at auctions for several years, just because I like them. I would like to know more about them. Any advice on books to buy would be most welcome. Thank you. Linda
Linda
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hell-oooo---- anybody alive and kicking in this group? Great question, Linda...too bad nobody answered your question. -- lilac3
Lila

🙂
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

HI, If you are close to a public library They should be able to help you out, I'm not that knowledgeable my self. I have a small book Button Book Identifications & Price Guide by Peggy Ann Osborne. I understand the Bible book of buttons is good but costly. Nancy
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Is that the name of it, Nancy? Bible Book of Buttons? Good tip, checking out the local library first. -- Lilac
fabriclogo
Lila

🙂
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

no no..the book is called "The Big Book of Buttons"
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Aaah...thanks. Off to find one now.... much appreciated. -- Lilac
fabriclogo
Lila

🙂
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I also like two books by Debra Wisniewski. She sells them online at her own website, but you can find them on eBay and many book sites around the internet. They are good for beginner to mid-range collectors. Show all the collectible types with good images and value ranges. The Big Book of Buttons will set you back between $200-$400 and it's not the easiest book to learn buttons from, but it is great to look at.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the correction I've just heard it called that so much thought that was the name. I'll have to write that down so I don't forget.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

btfranken
Enthusiast
I joined this group today. I am going to start selling buttons on ebay and I thought I should learn something about them first. I'll check out the books you have recommended here and check out that web site. The first button I pulled out to list says, on the back The Metal Works Newark. I googled that and came up with nothing. I have no idea where to start. If there are some guides you'd recommend that would be great! Thanks, Teressa
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hello:-p, The book I started with was The Collector's Encyclopedia of Buttons Edition 6 by Sally Luscomb/ Schiffer publisher. You should be able to run a search on eBay or Amazon.com. This was published in 2006 and has values and updated information. It reads like an encyclopedia and you just look up what ever you are interested in and more than likely you will find an excellent reference. I spent time just reading this and getting comfortable with the terminology and history of makers and button types. I recommend this before other books or in addition to. I still use this book to this day. Hope this helps. May you have a magical day. Carolyn;-) Fairytalebuttons
Message 10 of 10
latest reply