cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locating buttons?

Hi, I just found the group even though I have been searching the auctions for over a year. I grew up with buttons in my grandfather's small button factory on the Mississippi River in Iowa. There was nothing more exciting than watching the buttons tumble as they were smoothed and shined. I collect a variety of buttons, but spend most of my time searching for those buttons my grandparents and parents made in the factory. Unfortunately there are only a few buttons on cards left in our family. I have only found one card over the last year on the eBay auctions and stores. My question is: Where can I locate more buttons on cards from the 1960's? Most websites dedicate their collecting and selling to the older pearl and bakelite buttons. I am trying to locate simple plastic buttons still on cards that don't really stand out in the crowd. Even if people still have them around they aren't appealing enough to show up for me to purchase. Does anyone know of any sites that I could post what I am looking for? Other than eBay I haven't had any luck finding any of the older (but not old enough to excite anyone but me), buttons on cards. In case you want to search your collection of cards, I am searching for button cards with the words Style-Line written in navy blue script angled at the top of the card. Any ideas would be most appreciated! Thanks, Kim
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Locating buttons?

Hi Kim, I have been busy this summer and noticed your request in Button Buddies. Finding a card of plastic cards is very hard to do. A lot of the button collectors removed them from the original cards, so they could place them on "trays". However, many button collections are becoming available and maybe in the bottom of those boxes there might be your treasurer. eBay is your best source for these buttons. However, check the craft area sometimes people who manage to pickup buttons and sell them, don't list them in the collector section. Are you a members of National Button Society or your local button society? There is an online button group called Button Bytes, but beware about sharing your opinion. The person monitoring the sight will quickly kick you off if she doesn't like it. Many of use have been kicked off because we had an opinion that didn't agree with hers. May I ask what factory did they work in? Well, hick just email me directly, because I have always been interested in this time period. Thanks - Linda
Linda Falkenthal
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Could you detail on that title again? It looks like a plus sign then style number 115. I sell alot of buttons and have a whole box of older buttons on cards. So give me a little more detail on the Name at the top of the card. Linda did you call her a hick????? Or was that a typo? Usually button factories on the Mississippi are infamous for MOP buttons - Jonelle
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Hi Kim, 60's buttons are pretty nifty. I have several cards (like around 250 or more) and like Jonelle I'd need more information. I'm not a seller, but I'd be more than happy to go through mine for you. I see you haven't checked here lately, check more often, can't ever tell you might hit payday here. I'll bet Jonelle has more than you can imagine. Good luck! 😄 Carolyn LOL Jonelle!! I think she meant heck. I HOPE she meant heck hahaha! And, hope you're selling tons! Think I'll go now and see what you have, might find that set of zodiacs I've been looking for. 🙂
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hello Kim I haven't been to this group for some time. I still have some on cards, I have sold a lot of them. Most of what I have on cards came from the general store my in-laws run for 3 years in the mid 60's. Here is the link to what I have listed, but have many more loose ones not listed yet and a few on cards I have to list too. http://stores.ebay.com/SILVERGIRLS-GENERAL-STORE_Buttons_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ4165366QQftidZ2QQ... -- Photobucket
 photo c0aee6c4-b992-4827-ae05-e33ad59c80ce_zpscc7c71c6.jpg
Message 5 of 5
latest reply