cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arita Button or Jewelry

Since I collect horse related buttons, I noticed 2 Arita horses this last week and bid on them on the fly. Yeah I won them. However, when I was looking closer at the auction and thinking how in the world I got them so cheaply, it hit me. These might be jewelry and not buttons. Can someone look at eBay Auction No. 120037149938 and 120037153878 and confirm one way or another my suspension? I don't know much about Arita buttons, but feel in love with my friend's Aritas. So, I expect this will be one of those learning experiences. Linda
Linda Falkenthal
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Arita Button or Jewelry

They sure look like pins to me!
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Arita Button or Jewelry

they are NOT buttons..I have many Aritas and NONE have a back like this..and when you receive them and your not happy you should let the seller know..and I would probably turn him in to ebay for claiming they are buttons..P.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Arita Button or Jewelry

Great items, not buttons and should not have been listed as buttons. If they were buttons, the price would have skyrocketed. It's hard to find realistic Aritas, especially of a horse image. I don't think you overpaid though. -Carol-
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Arita Button or Jewelry

I went ahead and purchased the Arita's pins away. I continued my research and found several internet sites talking about porcelain production in the Arita area in Japan. In the button collector's world buttons made from this particular porcelain are called Arita. Apparently, in the Pottery and Glass section in eBay, the porcelain is better known as Imari or Fukagawa, which is the company name. Imari is the name given to the world famous Japanese porcelain produced in the original Arita Sarayama area is now called Arita Machi, Hizen province (modern Saga-prefecture) on the Island of Kyushu. The porcelains produced in this area are now called "Arita-yaki". If jewelry was made out of this porcelain, I expected to see some on eBay under the name Arita, Imari or Fukagawa. However, I have not been able to find any. So either these are a real treasure, or the jewelry world calls them something else or they are not worth anything. I am hoping they are a long lost treasure. If they are anything like the buttons, I already love them. Thanks - Linda at The Responder
Linda Falkenthal
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Arita Button or Jewelry

I hope you have found a treasure,too!!:) Jackie
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Arita Button or Jewelry

Linda: I think anything made of this lovely porcelain, molded so precisely, expertly glazed,painted and lustered, is worth having, so you did good. The brand name Arita porcelain jewelry, buttons and cufflinks was usually marketed under is Toshikani. Using that name as search criteria will bring one active auction and several store items (including 2 button sets). The cufflinks and jewelry items have designs quite familiar to button Arita collectors. As with many manufacturers, the pieces were made for a variety of uses although one should not assume the bracelets hold items which once were buttons, they were made with similar or identical designs but were flat-backed pieces intended for jewelry use. To my understanding, the term Imari is more closely associated with Satsuma pottery. It's an earthenware which has different properties than the finer clays used for porcelains. Viewed side-by-side, an Arita piece and a Satsuma piece will look quite different. Satsuma has small craze lines in the glaze which are normal and expected. You won't find this on any porcelain piece. -Carol-
Message 7 of 7
latest reply