cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

censorship

You can't buy or sell Dr. Suess but you can buy or sell Mein Kampf by Adolph Hitler 

This is book burning. facists do this. Slowly they eliminate things.

If Ebay is gving into the Woke idiots I will cancell Ebay. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

censorship

@pigsrflyin 

There are 7000 listings for Dr Seuss books.  They have not been banned. 
The Dr Seuss Foundation has stopped publishing 6 titles.
Hold on to your copies of these books, they aren’t making them any more. If you want more copies, you will have to buy them somewhere else. 

It’s the same with puppies and kittens. You can’t buy them on eBay either. 
Where’s the outrage about that. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

censorship

@pigsrflyin wrote:

You can't buy or sell Dr. Suess but you can buy or sell Mein Kampf by Adolph Hitler 

This is book burning. facists do this. Slowly they eliminate things.

If Ebay is gving into the Woke idiots I will cancell Ebay. 

When the right owner and hol,der say they are offensive: eBay has no choice but to ban the few that were said to be so.

Learn and quite jumping to conclusions. Try a bit of research before you say the sky is falling.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

censorship

This is the third thread in as many days on the subject of the publisher deciding not to publish 6 Suess books, several of which were considered his weaker books and have been replaced in libraries and schools over the years with better children's books.

It should be noted that curation is not cancellation. And cancellation is not book banning. No one is going to come into your home and take away your copy of a Suess book that the estate has decided will no longer be published.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

censorship

The six are not entirely 'weaker books', since two of the books were given Caldecott Honor awards by the American Library Association. The Caldecott selection process was and is quite contentious, so the books went through a thorough vetting process by the Committee.

McElligot's Pool was Geisel's first Caldecott Honor, with Members of 1948 Newbery-Caldecott Medal Selection Committee: Chair Virginia Chase, Elizabeth A. Groves, Natalie Mayo, Josephine Lynch, Hellen Fuller, Margaret M. Clark, Salmoe betts, Helen E. Kinsey, Alice B. Lewis, Katherine Porter, Margaret McElderry, Elizabeth H. Gross, Helen C. Bough, Ruth E. Hewitt, Jane Darrah, Katherine Ashley, Leone Garvey, Ruth M. Ersted, Phyllis Fenner, Naomi Hokanson, Mattie Ruth Moore, Mary K. Aiken.

If I Ran The Zoo was Geisel's second Caldecott Honor, with members of 1951 Newbery-Caldecott Medal Selection Committee: Chair Elizabeth H. Gross, Enoch Pratt Free Library, MD; Mary Peters, Vernon Ives, Holiday House, Frances Whitehead, Jennie D. Lindquist, Natalie Edwin, Agatha Shea.

I guess we can blame the above persons for keeping the two books in print for 70 years.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

censorship

I said that several were considered by teachers and librarians to be weaker books, not all 6. I am aware that 2 received the Caldecott awards. Other books have come along since the late '40s and early 50s and many of those have received the same awards and more. The field of children's literature has exploded in the past 50 to 70 years. Speaking of awards, my son once brought home an award winning book when he was in grade school. It was about a Native American tribe. Years later I read that the living quarters, don't remember if it was illustrated with teepees or long houses, but in any case the illustrations were wrong for the tribe the book was about. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

censorship

I had listed a Easton Press Mein Kampf by Adolph Hitler on Ebay here last summer, it was pulled as offensive and sold pretty quickly on ABE. It is their sandbox, we're just playing in it. If you don't like the rules, build your own sandbox? Play by yourself? 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

censorship

They are banning the sell of 6 Dr. Suess books. That's censorship. They are banning these books because of the "Woke" movement. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply