cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I be looking for in Children’s Books with jackets?

I feel privileged to read the posts on this board about collectible children’s books.  I read them with interest.

My book selling is focused on sports books, local history and yearbooks. In a good estate sale I might see 1000’s of books.

right now I skip over most children’s books, mainly because I am a condition nut, and many children do not care for their books.

I am thinking that it would be easy to pay attention to children’s books with dustjacket s.  

are there general rules that I should follow so that I can take the time to at least look up a particular book?

for example:  is there a date range I should pay attention to?  Is 1980 typically too new?  Which decade did jackets first come out?  I assume early jackets are more likely to be valuable?

what authors who publish with jackets should I focus on?  Dr.Seuss?  Older Disney?  Shel Silverstein? Others?

I have a brand new granddaughter that is going to need to be read to, so I might as well get started with the good stuff.

I had a recent conversation with my 30+ year old daughters about which books they remember fondly.  Good Night Moon, dr Seus’s  Foot Book, “are you my mother?” And others.

to those of you who do not go to estate sales, I encourage you to download the EstateSales.net app on your smart phone.  Just tomorrow there are 23 estate sales within 20 miles of me.  Some I will skip due to lack of things I want, some estate sales are just too high for my comfort, and others out the way.

I realize that if I increase my areas of expertise I can improve my buying luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

mike

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

As with most collectibles during these inflationary times, collectible children's books currently have higher demand than pre-Covid, resulting in higher prices, and less collectible books on the market.

With estate sales in mind, in particular to children's picturebooks (i.e. exclude 'chapter books') in dust jackets, some basic tips.

1. Knowing Next To Nothing: Picturebooks from mid-1960's to mid-1980's
These will have a number line and pre-date bar codes. The number line will make it fairly straight-forward to identify whether the book is a first or early edition, and bar codes began in 1985/1986 therefore the book is over 35 years old.

2. Having General Bookselling Experience: Picturebooks before mid-1960's
It is more difficult to identify early and first editions picturebooks published prior to the use of number lines. As an experienced bookseller you can 'smell' a decent purchase via the DJ price, which will approximate:
- 1930's $1.00 or less
- 1940's $1.00 to $2.00
- 1950's $2.00 to $3.00
- 1960's $2.50 to $3.50

If the DJ is clipped, then look for the copy on the DJ flaps - the other books mentioned will provide a good idea of the year of publication of the book in hand.

3. Knowing A Little Goes a Long Way: Caldecott Medal and Honor Books
While it is unlikely to find a first edition Caldecott Medal book - of any year - in estate sales, these have very solid market value. See the American Library Association's website https://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/caldecottmedal/caldecotthonors/caldecot...

Caldecott Honor books have nearly as much collectibility and demand. And it doesn't have to be a first edition as early printings of both Honor and Medal books with DJ's are very sellable on eBay, especially those published prior to 1990.

4. Knowing More Than The Casual Bookseller: Caldecott Illustrators
Most booksellers know the most popular children's picturebooks illustrators - Seuss, Sendak, Silverstein, Carle, Van Allsburg - therefore there is high competition for their valuable books, and a plethora of first editions of their later books on the market (as they become more and more popular their first edition print runs were ginormous). There are a number of less well-known illustrators who have high collectibility yet their books did not cross over into pop culture like their more popular peers.

There are too many to list however the Caldecott's are again another solid source. Learn of the illustrators who have won multiple Caldecott awards - both Medal and Honor - and be on the lookout for early or first editions of their works. In general, once an illustrator wins a Caldecott award, whether thay authored the award book or not, they become more marketible from a publisher's perspective and post-award will both author and illustrate their books in order to recieve both pieces of the royalty pie.

• From the 1940s's there's Virginia Lee Burton, Marjorie Flack, Wanda Gag, Berta & Elmer Hader, Robert Lawson, Lois Lenski, Robert McCLoskey, Clare Turlay Newberry, Tasha Tudor, Maud & Miska Petersham, Leonard Weisgard, and Kurt Wiese.
  • From the 1950's there's Marcia Brown, William Pene du Bois, Roger Duvoisin, Margeret Bloy Graham, Crockett Johnson, Marie Hall Ets, Leo Politi, Mark Simont, and Taro Yashima.
  • From the 1960's there's Ed Emberley, Paul Galdone, Nonny Hogrogian, Ezra Jack Keats, Leo Lionni, and Evaline Ness.
  • From the 1970's there's Nancy Ekholm Burkert, Barbara Cooney, Donald Crews, Leo & Diane Dillon, Richard Egielski, Tom Feelings, Susan Jeffers, Arnold Lobel, Beverly Brodsky McDermott, Gerald McDermett, Peter Spier, Ed Young, and Margot Zemach.
  • From the 1980's there's Molly Bang, Tomie DePaola, Stephen Gammell, Diana Goode, Trina Schart Hyman, Peter Parnall, Peter Sis, Uri Shulevitz, William Steig, and Paul Zelinsky.
  • From the 1990's there's Allan Say, Mordecai Gerstein, Kevin Henkes, Jerry Pinkney, Chris Raschka, Eric Rohmann, David Shannon, Janet Stevens, and David Wiesner.
  • Post 2000 there's Bryan Collier, Tony DiTerlizzi, Mary GrandPre, Molly Idle, Jon Klassen, Jon Muth, Kadir Nelson, Marjorie Priceman, Laura Vaccaro Seeger, Brian Selnick, David Small, Mo Willems, and Pamela Zagarenski.

5. Learn To Read: Transitioning from Dick, Jane, and Spot.
During the late 1950's and throughout the 1960's the nation transitioned from academically prescribed and published early readers to commerical learn-to-read books. The two most popular and collectible are Random House Beginner Books and Harper's I Can Read. Early and first editions of these books in DJ's are very sellable on eBay.

Both Beginner Books and I Can Read books with a DJ price of $1.95 indicates they were published prior to 1970. The 1970's and 1980's Harper I Can Read books will normally have a number line therefore the edition is fairly easy to discern.

I hope this helps.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

As with most collectibles during these inflationary times, collectible children's books currently have higher demand than pre-Covid, resulting in higher prices, and less collectible books on the market.

With estate sales in mind, in particular to children's picturebooks (i.e. exclude 'chapter books') in dust jackets, some basic tips.

1. Knowing Next To Nothing: Picturebooks from mid-1960's to mid-1980's
These will have a number line and pre-date bar codes. The number line will make it fairly straight-forward to identify whether the book is a first or early edition, and bar codes began in 1985/1986 therefore the book is over 35 years old.

2. Having General Bookselling Experience: Picturebooks before mid-1960's
It is more difficult to identify early and first editions picturebooks published prior to the use of number lines. As an experienced bookseller you can 'smell' a decent purchase via the DJ price, which will approximate:
- 1930's $1.00 or less
- 1940's $1.00 to $2.00
- 1950's $2.00 to $3.00
- 1960's $2.50 to $3.50

If the DJ is clipped, then look for the copy on the DJ flaps - the other books mentioned will provide a good idea of the year of publication of the book in hand.

3. Knowing A Little Goes a Long Way: Caldecott Medal and Honor Books
While it is unlikely to find a first edition Caldecott Medal book - of any year - in estate sales, these have very solid market value. See the American Library Association's website https://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/caldecottmedal/caldecotthonors/caldecot...

Caldecott Honor books have nearly as much collectibility and demand. And it doesn't have to be a first edition as early printings of both Honor and Medal books with DJ's are very sellable on eBay, especially those published prior to 1990.

4. Knowing More Than The Casual Bookseller: Caldecott Illustrators
Most booksellers know the most popular children's picturebooks illustrators - Seuss, Sendak, Silverstein, Carle, Van Allsburg - therefore there is high competition for their valuable books, and a plethora of first editions of their later books on the market (as they become more and more popular their first edition print runs were ginormous). There are a number of less well-known illustrators who have high collectibility yet their books did not cross over into pop culture like their more popular peers.

There are too many to list however the Caldecott's are again another solid source. Learn of the illustrators who have won multiple Caldecott awards - both Medal and Honor - and be on the lookout for early or first editions of their works. In general, once an illustrator wins a Caldecott award, whether thay authored the award book or not, they become more marketible from a publisher's perspective and post-award will both author and illustrate their books in order to recieve both pieces of the royalty pie.

• From the 1940s's there's Virginia Lee Burton, Marjorie Flack, Wanda Gag, Berta & Elmer Hader, Robert Lawson, Lois Lenski, Robert McCLoskey, Clare Turlay Newberry, Tasha Tudor, Maud & Miska Petersham, Leonard Weisgard, and Kurt Wiese.
  • From the 1950's there's Marcia Brown, William Pene du Bois, Roger Duvoisin, Margeret Bloy Graham, Crockett Johnson, Marie Hall Ets, Leo Politi, Mark Simont, and Taro Yashima.
  • From the 1960's there's Ed Emberley, Paul Galdone, Nonny Hogrogian, Ezra Jack Keats, Leo Lionni, and Evaline Ness.
  • From the 1970's there's Nancy Ekholm Burkert, Barbara Cooney, Donald Crews, Leo & Diane Dillon, Richard Egielski, Tom Feelings, Susan Jeffers, Arnold Lobel, Beverly Brodsky McDermott, Gerald McDermett, Peter Spier, Ed Young, and Margot Zemach.
  • From the 1980's there's Molly Bang, Tomie DePaola, Stephen Gammell, Diana Goode, Trina Schart Hyman, Peter Parnall, Peter Sis, Uri Shulevitz, William Steig, and Paul Zelinsky.
  • From the 1990's there's Allan Say, Mordecai Gerstein, Kevin Henkes, Jerry Pinkney, Chris Raschka, Eric Rohmann, David Shannon, Janet Stevens, and David Wiesner.
  • Post 2000 there's Bryan Collier, Tony DiTerlizzi, Mary GrandPre, Molly Idle, Jon Klassen, Jon Muth, Kadir Nelson, Marjorie Priceman, Laura Vaccaro Seeger, Brian Selnick, David Small, Mo Willems, and Pamela Zagarenski.

5. Learn To Read: Transitioning from Dick, Jane, and Spot.
During the late 1950's and throughout the 1960's the nation transitioned from academically prescribed and published early readers to commerical learn-to-read books. The two most popular and collectible are Random House Beginner Books and Harper's I Can Read. Early and first editions of these books in DJ's are very sellable on eBay.

Both Beginner Books and I Can Read books with a DJ price of $1.95 indicates they were published prior to 1970. The 1970's and 1980's Harper I Can Read books will normally have a number line therefore the edition is fairly easy to discern.

I hope this helps.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Picture Books:  I feel like I just asked Babe  Ruth how to hit a fastball and he sat down and wrote 2 pages of suggestions.

I have read your reply 3 times in the hope that it will soak into my memory.  I have made a copy to store in my glove box in case I find a higher price book I am uncertain of.

Your description of dustjacket prices, which I had never heard before, reminds me of the general rule about 5 and 10 cent comic book prices.  I know little else.  I think I know more about picture books already but that helps.  Again thank you very much.

As far as buying books at estate sales, I live in the relatively affluent suburbs of St. :ouis, a place with well read folks.  I hear Washington DC and Boston are even better.

I find that if a particular library has 2 valuable books, they will have more.  A house full of worn readers digest condensed books will rarely turn up a treasure. Those are generalities when exposed to thousands of books in a day, and helpful as the day goes on.

I am always trying to expand my areas of buying interest.  I learned long ago that if I limited to my initial interest of sports books I would have very few buys for my efforts.  I have expanded to history, local history, yearbooks and a general search for fine bindings.

Just last week I had an end of the day opportunity to take any book for .25.  While expecting most wouldgo in my daughters antique mall, so far am suv rear load has found 3 books that will sell for over $50.  Not found by others in a busy 2 day sale.

Again thanks for your time.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

For what its worth, about a decade ago I wrote about the factors which affect the collectibility of American picturebooks.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Stan:  Interesting article.  I notice you mention award winners and then Seuss books are mentioned seperately.  May I assume that Seuss did not win awards early?  Yet he became hugely popular later because of other factors such as tv specials?

I can only assume there are other authors who became popular for similar reasons.  Who else?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.  As a 50s and 60s baseball card collector I see many similarities.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Seuss won two Caldecott Honor awards however this did not necessarily fuel his success - his books simply appealed to children. So much so that in a 1954 article John Hersey, when criticizing the state of education in a Life Magazine article 'Why Johnny Can't Read', called upon popular children's authors to create appealing 'learn to read' books. Hersey's article named Seuss as one of several authors.

Geisel responded to the challenge, so in 1957 Cat In The Hat was published as an early reader, and outside of the then administratively controlled 'learn to read' school programs. This fueled the popularity of Seuss early readers, and an empire was created with Beginner Books.

Then in 1966 came the How The Grinch Stole Christmas television special which was met with tremendous success.

So Seuss was extremely popular before Cat/Hat, then over a couple of decades Cat/Hat & Beginner Books completely replaced the 'learn to read' prescribed curriculum, then came the Grinch TV special, then came the Pulitzer Prize, then came more movies, etc...

Even with all of the above, don't lose sight that the key factor for valuable children's picturebooks is copies sold - the book's appeal to children is the most important aspect. The more people who have read the book then the greater chance a small portion of them would have desire to own a first edition copy. This is why Publisher's Weekly All-Time Bestselling Children's Books is such a good resource.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the information.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply