cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage German Book Die Niederlandischen Maler 17.Jahrhuderts by Max J. Friedlander

I am so out of my league here, is this a book that would sell for 1.00 or a lot higher.  There are several cover sheets over what looks like printed pages, not sure any of it is original, not sure why they would have put these sheets over these pictures, there are at least 12 of these pages that have the sheets over them.  I see stuff like Dievlamischen Maler the binding is in bad shape...your thoughts please, what do I have...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Vintage German Book Die Niederlandischen Maler 17.Jahrhuderts by Max J. Friedlander

Google translation "The Dutch painters 17th century".

Amazon has a copy from a UK seller for sale at $49.50.

It does not look like an in-demand book.

I would list it at $49.50 with option of accepting buyer offers. Lower price if it does not sell in bearable time.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you so much.  What is odd to me is that there are actual velum sheets between the pages of the pictures...thanks again

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Amazon is not the place for this book. eBay is.

This was once a quality publication, with tissue guards of vellum? really?

The reproductions are high quality and the framing looks good enough to be real matte board. But Friedlander is known for his quality photographs. This must be a volume from his Masterwerke

Your copy needs serious work to be a collectible in its own right, but the matted pictures are salable/framable in broken state.

I think I'd ask a bit more, playing up Friedlander's history as persecuted by the Nazi's and his importance to art criticism. First issue of the full set I'm sure brings a nice chunk of coin.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

There's one for sale here for 8 Euros (around $8.83). The one in the link is a second edition, but even if yours is a first edition I don't believe it'll make a lot of difference:

https://www.booklooker.de/B%C3%BCcher/Max-J-Friedl%C3%A4nder+Die-Niederl%C3%A4ndischen-Maler-Des-17-...

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

This was volume 12 of a 16-volume set that later had two supplements. ( 18 vols. total.) 

Each volume had a different author. Here is a bibliographical entry from a catalog by Martinus Nijhoff publishing company:

https://books.google.com/books?id=p3zsCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=Die+Niederlandischen+Maler+17.Jahrh...

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply