cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden humidity and warmth have warped my books. Help!

This has never happened before except when I left books in the car and it rained.  The paper absorbed the moisture from the air and the pages get a distinct wavy shape.   I was able to mostly fix them by standing them up and fanning out the pages.  I blew air over them with an electric fan.   Now I just noticed that almost all of my books in my apartment have these signs of moisture.   I knew that I did not have ideal climate controlled conditions but this has never happened in ten years.  In fact, I had the opposite problem with the air too dry in the winter from radiator heat.    The covers would warp outwards.   I addressed that with a tabletop humidifier and also by putting pots of water on the radiators.   We had snow on the ground until a week ago and then suddenly it got warm and humid maybe two days ago.   I think the sudden change has been a culprit.    We seem to have skipped spring and went right to sweltering jungle conditions.

Now, I can start to dry them out as before but there is one problem.  I have about 3000 books.   Would it help if I turned on the air conditioning to dry out the air?     Does this go away in a few days as some sort of equilibrium is established?  I noticed the same thing today at the school where I work.   My books and those of my colleagues had the same condition in out offices.  It has been very warm and humid the past two days.   I talked to the librarian and she seemed oblivious and was not too concerned.  I found the picture below online to show what this can look like.

Image result for books humidity warping

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Sudden humidity and warmth have warped my books. Help!

I have noticed exactly this symptom with my books. It has rained where I live for about 2 weeks now and RH (relative humidity) has averaged 70 - 85%. Most of my newer books are very wavy like your picture. I’m hoping that they will shrink back down to normal as there’s $1,000’s worth of books on my shelves .

Did your books eventually straighten out?

Message 2 of 2
latest reply