cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Harlequin Romance Paperbacks

I have inherited a great number of Harlequin Romance books and while google-ing, I see "red edge", what exactly does that mean?  Older, more valuable??  A little help would be greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I believe it refers to the older books that have red edged pages.

I don't know values.

il_340x270.2859116821_7mhc.jpg

-------------
Posting ID
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I was at the library one morning and a large book sale donation came in with these books.  The 'volunteer' upped her nose and said she was donating them to the thrift store.  Later that day I went to the Goodwill and every book one was in somebody's shopping cart.  

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Proper term is edge stain--referring to the process of sanding the edges of the text block and dyeing them. In this case red. It was done to protect from dust, and dropped in the 70's due to expense. 

Three digit product numbers, the lower the better with "cartoon" style cover paintings can be worth some money. There are collectors of Harlequin men's adventure books (later Gold Medal) as well as the romance. 

One title, in particular, is worth significant money. It is a Nora Roberts title, and she calls it the worst book she ever wrote. A bit of research should turn up the title. 

FWIW: these are popular titles. When our FOL was operating, we'd get in thousands of them. We'd try and sell only the most recent titles singly, the rest we'd bag up and sell at 20/$1.00. 

I'm hoping we get back to sales soon.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@glitzy14 wrote:

I have inherited a great number of Harlequin Romance books and while google-ing, I see "red edge", what exactly does that mean?  Older, more valuable??  A little help would be greatly appreciated.  

Here's a link to a guide on Harlequin romance paperbacks, with photographs and bibliographic material on the first 50 novels.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply