cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offensive materials

I tried to list a pair of vintage Aunt Jemima salt shakers from my mom's collection.  Now I'm a racist?  Wow.  I love Aunt Jemima, so did my mom.  My Irish grandmother was the first person in her all white community to rent property to a black family, because she was compassionate and they needed a place to live.  I attended YMCA summer camp in my youth and was the only white girl there, it didn't matter, we were just a bunch of kids having a blast and learning that race didn't matter.  Growing up in the 1960's I remember staring at Aunt Jemima's friendly motherly face on the pancake mix box while helping my mom make breakfast in the kitchen.   It was comforting.  Ironically, I'm selling my mom's estate and using the money to help starving families in Uganda.  That's in Africa BTW.

So, I don't appreciate being spanked without knowing what I did wrong.  Hey EBAY, couldn't you be a little more detailed in the explanation and not just assume I'm a racist.  There are a lot of other similar items out there that don't seem to be a problem.

Anyone know how we're suppose to sell these things? 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Offensive materials

Welcome to the world of ebay.  They have so many rules that nobody knows all the rules.  I got caught in a vero violation last week, apparently because I misstated the warranty of a snap on tool.  The listing is gone and my appeal is to the manufacturer,  I have no idea what my listing said and I will have a tough time figuring out which one to remove from my inventory.

My advice is to not relist aunt jemima or you could face ebay banishment.

I attended a local consignment auction where they sold 100+ aunt jemima large buttons.  I suspect the buyers were hoping to flip them on ebay.  As you found out, that will not work.

I have a local antique mall booth where I sell stuff that does not work online for various reasons.  Sometimes I make more money there.  You likely do not have enough inventory to justify a booth, but you may have a friend.

I looked at your listings, you have very reasonable prices.  As shipping is high for small items, have you considered a group listing for all salt and pepper shakers?

Also, while I do not know your 30's Mickey, that seems like a low price if it is actually from the 1930's.

Good luck, Mike

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Offensive materials

Just after the first riots of the year, I bought out a shelf lot that had a Japan/Hametown decanter with shot glasses in the form of a clown in black face.  Before I bid on the lot I looked it up in Terapeak and found a half dozen or more solds in the $60-70 range with the words black Americana as key words.

I tried to list it with those words and it was terminated as offensive to the new morons on the Left who are offended by emancipation in their zeal to enslave us to political correctness. They'll grow up, if they survive their folly.

So I listed it with the Black Americana term.  Always a work around.

OTOH, I'm having an impossible time listing a book on Courts Martial published a century ago because eBay insists it is a manual on highly sensitive and classified tech weaponry. NOT EVEN THE SAME CENTURY, GUYS.

The smarter their machines get, the stupider they become.

There's a work around for this, has to be. I'll find it.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply