Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

James Payn

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

James Payn

Please help me fill in the (blanks) on this note from what appears to be the author  James Payn  and (Lovell the Publisher)

I am not finding much on the internet and I would like an idea how much I should list it for.

Thanks.

"  I have made no arrangement with any known Publication?  ________   ____Lovell  for the publication in America ________________________________

Signed by James Payn July 5th 1890.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply

James Payn

I have made no arrangement with any other publisher/publication ____ ___ _____ for the publication in America of 'The Wind + the Will'

That's about all I can get from it. Those three missing words are just too scrawled.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

James Payn

Thanks so much!!!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

James Payn

@sigmapsidelta wrote:

I have made no arrangement with any other publisher/publication ____ ___ _____ for the publication in America of 'The Wind + the Will'

That's about all I can get from it. Those three missing words are just too scrawled.

"...any other publisher than Mr Lovell..."

The book is "The Word and the Will," published by the J.W. Lovell Company:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/word-and-the-will/oclc/3122152&referer=brief_results

Almost certainly a printed letter that would have featured in every copy of the book.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

James Payn

@argon38 wrote:

@sigmapsidelta wrote:

"...any other publisher than Mr Lovell..."

The book is "The Word and the Will," published by the J.W. Lovell Company:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/word-and-the-will/oclc/3122152&referer=brief_results

Almost certainly a printed letter that would have featured in every copy of the book.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

James Payn

@the*bumping*squirrel wrote:

Almost

Well, it might not have featured in every copy of the book. It could have been added after pirating problems came to the attention of the author. Conceivably it may indicate a later issue. Thou canst not deny it.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply