cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a group of authors?

Had this photo hanging about for a while. It isn't as old as most that show up on here, so I'm hoping that some of the faces are familiar to someone.

I do know that second from the right on the front row is Graham Greene.

Furthest left on the front row is familiar. At a guess: Martin Amis? The lady to the right of him is familiar, too. But I can't put a name to her.

Second and third from the right on the back row look familiar as well.

Any ideas? 

GREENE PIC.jpg

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Upper row, third from the right is eerily familiar. "I know I've seen that face somewhere, Big Jim was thinking to himself".

But it isn't Doris Day. Cool pic.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

This is an interesting one, but I can't put any names to them. 1980s, of course. Any clues on the back?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Looks like Yvonne Cloetta seated to the right of Greene.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Could the first gentleman on the left in the second row be John le Carre?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

From Google images the Martin Amis guess is wrong. So is John le Carre, I'm afraid.

I'm starting to think it may be the cast of a play by Greene. 

The back of the photo just has 'photo by Donald Scott' handwritten at the bottom.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@sigmapsidelta wrote:

I'm starting to think it may be the cast of a play by Greene.

I did come across a press photo of Greene with Yvonne Cloetta which mentions on the back that they attended a production of "The Living Room" at the Royalty Theatre in 1987:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22graham+greene%22+%22yvonne+cloetta%22+&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwj2iN... 

But looking at the cast list (Dulcie Gray, etc), I don't think that can be the play:

https://theatricalia.com/play/404/the-living-room/production/c79 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Seated to Greene's left looks to be his daughter Caroline Bourget.

Difficult to find a photo of her from the 1980's, but here she is a couple of years ago.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

You may well have pinned one down. The smile and the nose are both the same shape.

Every time I think about this I find myself spending a good hour or more poring over Google images. I'm running out of sensible search terms.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

The guy with the Robert Vaughan bangs looks like Harlan Ellison but I think that guy is too young for Ellison in the eighties. And the guy on the far right looks a lot like another prolific sci-fi guy, mebbe Bradbury.

They all look familiar.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I found a picture of Yvonne Cloetta that looks a lot like the lady to the left of Greene.

Also, a possibility for back row second from left is William H. Glass.

I think its possible that front row left is Greene's son, Francis. No pictures of him that I could find, but he does look a bit like Greene.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Being an early 70s high school graduate, the hair styles of the younger men look more like the 70's.  I believe several guys look like they are wearing bell bottom pants, whichis definitely a 70s style.  Of course many of us are slow to change hair styles.

women of the late 80s had the frizzy style that none of these women do.

It always amazes me when I look at college and high school yearbooks.  Everybody has the same hair style.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I still think 1980s! But I'll hold my hands up if wrong.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I spent my entire working life in higher ed, the back row looks similar to how my colleagues dressed.   Could the back row be members of a department on a college campus?  Did Green and his family donate money/papers to any particular college department?

What is the background?  Is it shades drawn on large windows?  The baseboard looks like an older building.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@mmadigan wrote:

Did Green and his family donate money/papers to any particular college department?

His papers are now at Boston College, but it seems the College purchased them after his death:

https://library.bc.edu/finding-aids/MS1995-003-finding-aid.pdf 

I just came across this story in the London Times  of April 25, 1984, which might be worth investigating:

greene.png

https://ia800804.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/34/items/NewsUK1984UKEnglish/Ap... 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply