cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we stop fraudulent wheat penny sellers and other fraudulent coins from ripping people off

I have watched sooooo many wheat penny rolls sell that are listed and sold in so called federal currency rolls. They cunningly use rolls that are clearly custom printed. Whats worse is these sellers are top rated sellers and sponsored.

I purchased 3 rolls from a specific wheat penny seller that has them in fake printed rolls federal currency rolls. This particular seller watermarks their wheat penny roll photos. They may be following guidelines but they are clearly being fraudulent by printing certain things on the rolls to make them look legitimate. They are making 10 dollars per 50 cent roll. Everytime I look at their listing multiples are sold in last 24 hours. For example, I just looked and the red banner showed 27 rolls sold in the last 24 hours. Thats roughly 2700 dollars they made in 24 hours for rolls that are worth face value at best. I bought them knowing they were cunningly advertised and plan to suss a few more out with better documented proof. The 3 rolls I received had nothing but culls. Are they wheat pennies? Yes. I also gave them positive feedback because they somehow got my personal email address and sent me a request to leave them positive feedback because their sales depend on it. I responded privately to them to let them know I wasnt pleased but also purchased knowing that they were going to be duds. Technically, I dont have a claim for buyers remorse and everything else about the transaction went well.

I dont want to be a whistle blower especially if I am incorrect, but there are so many sellers like this. Why is there no one preventing them from doing this?  Is anyone interested in trying to take these matters a step further and get certain sellers repremanded for this type of behavior? As a coin collector, it really irritates me that novices are prey to these sellers. Please tell me I am not alone in my thoughts. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

How do we stop fraudulent wheat penny sellers and other fraudulent coins from ripping people off

Wishful thinking.

Any buyer in any category which requires specialized knowledge to be sure he isn't being ripped off owes it to himself to either have that knowledge or work on gaining that knowledge.

IMHO, there will always be frauds.  What taking these steps further would you suggest eBay do? You already added to the issue by giving positive FB to someone you knew deserved a negative.

Smart prospective buyers look at the FB sellers have received.  You could have warned potential buyers in that case.  

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I sell mostly books, but have sold coins in the past. This stuff happens in every category. Even in books.

I recently listed a couple of first edition children's books. One from 1959, and the other two from 1961. Both were first edition, and  showed the print dates.

Some other sellers were listing the same books as first editions, but under the print date it showed ISBN number also. Any good book seller knows what that is, and when it was started in the US.

And it didn't start in 1959 0r 1961. These other seller's books were reprints, not first editions.

Now, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe these sellers simply don't know that the books that they have listed are not first editions, but reprints. Maybe not.

Both buyers and sellers need to be aware of what they are selling and buying to avoid being disappointed.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Testing.  People buying wheat rolls get what they deserve.  It's a 'free' country apparently.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply