cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a book The world almanac first edition

Any help would be great i found a lot of reprodution stuff but nothing like this . i want to sell but not sure where to start condition ok i guess for being 100+ yrs old. Thanks

DSC04342.JPGDSC04343.JPGDSC04344.JPGDSC04345.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER
8 REPLIES 8

Generally, most almanacs of this time frame have very little value (i.e. $20 or less), especially in the condition you've shown.  If you would share the publication data (info about who put it out, etc. that is probably on the first page or two), we can be of more assistance.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Found this hope it helps

The World Almanac was begun in 1868 by the New York World newspaper. Publication was suspended in 1876 and resumed in 1886. The title has varied slightly; full titles have included "The World Almanac and Encyclopedia" and "The World Almanac and Book of Facts". No copyright renewals are known to exist for volumes of this serial. It is still published today.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It looks like only one copy being offered for sale is readily findable (that site shows three listings for the same copy). And they haven't been able to sell it at the asking price yet.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@figtree3 wrote:

It looks like only one copy being offered for sale is readily findable (that site shows three listings for the same copy). And they haven't been able to sell it at the asking price yet.

I think the price they're asking for it is about right. After all, it's the first year of publication of a long-running series that's still in print. If it were mine I wouldn't want to just give it away, even if it took a while for the right buyer to come along! (Incidentally, I see the Alibris listing for that other 1868 copy mentions June Foley and Mark Hoffman as authors. This is a mistake, because they had nothing to do with the original almanac: they were responsible for a reprint which appeared in 1992).

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@argon38wrote:

@figtree3 wrote:

I think the price they're asking for it is about right. After all, it's the first year of publication of a long-running series that's still in print. If it were mine I wouldn't want to just give it away, even if it took a while for the right buyer to come along! (Incidentally, I see the Alibris listing for that other 1868 copy mentions June Foley and Mark Hoffman as authors. This is a mistake, because they had nothing to do with the original almanac: they were responsible for a reprint which appeared in 1992).

Oh, I didn't see that there was another 1868 copy. Mention of the recent authors of the reprint makes me wonder if that is what is being sold for that one. I'm not going to go to Alibris to look for it. Recently I bought a book that was advertised to be a second edition from 1977. I bought it, and when it arrived I discovered it was actually a 2015 reprint of the 1977 edition. In that case it didn't matter because I could still use it. The poor description was bothersome, though.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@figtree3 wrote:

Oh, I didn't see that there was another 1868 copy. Mention of the recent authors of the reprint makes me wonder if that is what is being sold for that one.

No Fig, you were absolutely right - the used.addall search is bringing up a single 1868 copy on three venues. The Alibris description definitely refers to the original (correct number of pages), but it also mentions the reprint authors in the author field, so who knows about that one. The price is the same, though.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply