cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Children's Book Sells After 27 Years

Bookstore's Tweet On The Sale Of A Children's Book After 27 Years Goes Viral

A bookstore in England sold a children's biography of William the Conqueror that had been sitting in its shop since 1991. "I have just sold a book that we have had in stock since May 1991," the Broadhursts Bookshop tweeted. "We always knew its day would come."

The store's tweet about the sale has since gone viral and received thousands of replies. Author Sarah Todd Taylor tweeted in response, "The book held its breath. It had hoped so often, only to have that hope crushed. Hands lifted it from the shelf, wrapped it warmly in paper. As the door closed on its past life, the book heard the soft cheers of its shelfmates."

. . . Readers have replied to the Broadhursts Bookstore's tweet with their own stories of books unsold. One wrote, "I worked at a bookshop that had a copy of Piers Morgan's autobiography. I worked there 2 different times in 4 years, and we never sold it, even when it was reduced to 1p! It's probably still there."

"Can't say we are hugely surprised ..." Broadhursts Bookshop replied. "Nor were we," the reader replies. "It became shorthand for an impossible task: 'You're more likely to sell that Piers Morgan book than ...' "

Read More: https://www.npr.org/2018/11/18/669052716/bookstores-tweet-on-the-sale-of-a-children-s-book-after-27-...

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Wow. Such a long time for a book to be sold. Most children wouldn't want to read William the Conqueror anyway. I'm surprised the book never made it to the bargain bin. 😀

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

The thing that shocks me is the fact that 1991 was 27 years ago.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply