Did you mean: 

Andersen Hans Christian

serlacha_0
Enthusiast

IMG_5955.JPG

IMG_5956.JPG

damaged bindingdamaged binding

IMG_5959.JPG

beautiful illustrations no damage to pages or paperbeautiful illustrations no damage to pages or paper

any information regarding the date printed? who is the Illustrator? how to price the item considering the damaged binding. no damage to the paper pages themselves.. illustrations are perfect no damage or tares

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Andersen Hans Christian

Only one copy, with DJ, currently on the market.

Bookseller's description:

"First edition thus. Beautifully designed, rare tangible. First edition thus; circa 1925, no date. Pleasing 5 1/2" x 7 3/4" design. Charmingly illustrated w/seventy-five full, partial page imagery throughout. Decorative headers greet at each tale. Unsiged illustrated bookplate at front pastedown. Beautiful beige full-cloth boards, dk. brown cover and spine titles, pictorial depiction of mermaid in repose in rich hues of dk. green, yellow, and black. Pages very good, toned; no writing. Frontispiece color plate. Bind fine; hinges intact. Tan pictorial dust jacket w/matching mermaid imagery, spine titles, lt. edge wear; protected in new clear sleeve. Childhood classics advert available from W. B. Conkey at back panel. Extremely rare early example of the dust wrapper. 196 pages. Insured post. Size: 8vo - over 7¾ - 9¾" Tall."

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Andersen Hans Christian

After a second look, I think your copy pre-dates the one listed with a dust jacket - your book only has 18 titles in the childhood classics, while the one with the DJ lists 30.

Try looking up some of the other 18 Conkey titles listed in your book to get an approximate publication date.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Andersen Hans Christian

@picture*books wrote:

After a second look, I think your copy pre-dates the one listed with a dust jacket - your book only has 18 titles in the childhood classics, while the one with the DJ lists 30.

Try looking up some of the other 18 Conkey titles listed in your book to get an approximate publication date.

I couldn't help myself, so looked up some other books in the series, your book pre-dates all of these:

• Black Beauty, 25 books in Young People's Cloth Library, gift inscription dated 1905.

• Grandfather's Chair, 25 books in Young People's Cloth Library, gift inscription dated 1908.

• Little Lame Prince, other books printed around 1895, and another copy with 1905 gift inscription.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply