cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1852 James Strong Questions of the Gospel history Value/starting price?

This came in a lot of old books, from an estate, we all know who James Strong is when it comes to a concordance, but is this book, the one I have valuable? appears to be first edition, 1852 library of congress, small, and says it was to be used for bible classes, Sunday school and families..published in New York, I did search the web and did not see one anywhere....it is in good condition~any suggestions to start price? buy it now? scarce? rare? please and thank you 🙂

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

think I doubled posted~please forgive~gotta have those opps in life 🙂

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I'm sure it will be of interest to someone, clearly an early work and concurrent with another Gospel study well in advance of his Concordance.

To establish that this is a first printing, you need to determine the affiliation of the Sunday School Union. I am familiar with Lutheran and Episcopal publishers calling themselves that, contemporary to this outfit. Some of them imported texts from England although by this late date most were producing their own titles.

There is little remarkable about the binding, but it is in pretty good condition and the pages look free from foxing.

It will appeal to collectors of early church works, and being (possibly) one of the first works of this author should pull a pretty good price. I'd park it for a while at $350 obo and see what kind of offers you get. My limited price library has no comps.

Google books has a copy from the Harvard Libraries on efile, with 1853 on the title page. This should help establish the primacy of your printing.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

It seems to have been overlooked here that this book was originally published in the first edition by Carlton and Phillips, entered into LOC 1852, as evidenced in the National Magazine for 1853, pg 281,

https://books.google.com/books?id=6LlHAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA281&dq=questions+on+the+gospel+history+stron...

The book pictured here by the OP is published by Carlton and Porter, a later offshoot of the same publishing house. There is evidence of Carlton and Porter in the late 1850's but they seem to be at their strongest in the 1860's on through. The binding does smack of an 1850's variety but it may have been bound to appear as such. In any event, this is certainly a later printing of the first edition. As far as value, I would be shocked if this achieved more than $50-$75. Honestly, I think $25-45 is more reasonable. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Had listed at 65 with a bin, but will lower the price, and thank you...I did speak with several book companies before I seen this post and the book scarce, none to be found...I would think that would bump the value?
Message 5 of 5
latest reply